Location of transmission number

Trying to verify all numbers on 1971 V12 Series III 2 + 2.

There are the following 4 numbers on a plate on the fire wall in engine compartment. Im guessing that these are the “matching numbers” often mentioned when talking about “matching numbers”. SO where on the car do I find them???

1. Body number;
  2. transmission number;
  3. Engine number
  4. And one more that I can’t read. Perhaps gear box( automatic transmission in my case)

Thanks. Brad Henderson

No reply all day? I have a S2 but I will describe how that is, maybe some of it applies to an S3.

The 4 numbers on my data plate are:

Car No - Stamped on the ‘picture frame’, top right. Also on a tag attached under the windscreen, This is the number on the title (commonly called the VIN):

Body No - On a tag on the rear of the body, under the stainless steel trim piece:

Engine No - Stamped on the block just above the oil filter head:

Gearbox No - Stamped in a couple of places on the gearbox, none visible without removing parts:

One. Thank you. It maybe different on S3 but this is exactly what I was looking for.

Two. The transmission photo - are the numbers on the top of transmission and what parts would have to be removed? Mine is automatic- is yours automatic as well?

Three. Looks like vin plate is at bottom center of windscreen. Reintroduce. I have no such plate. Do you recall perhaps from seeing other cars if this was “standard placement”.?

Again, this is on my S2…

The gearbox is a manual and I think you can see one or possibly both marks with the tunnel cover off. No idea how an automatic is marked.

The VIN plate is on the A pillar, behind the glass:

Brad;
You mention your car is a S 3, 2+2 with a automatic transmission. I think you have a Borg Warner 12(BW 12).
I have a S 2, 2+2 with a automatic transmission, a BW 8. I have a picture of the number plate and it is on the left side of the transmission. I do not know if the number or number plate on the BW 12 is in the same position or not but this might give you an idea what you are looking for, hope it helps.
1-Finish%20engine%20rebuild%20014
The number plate is the gold or yellow oval plate just aft of the shift lever.

Regards, Joel.

The plinth looks like this:'

And is located below the rear bumper (in this photo just below the sun flash off then bumpoer)

Craig
Care-Taker of UC1S20954 (72 Series III OTS w/speed)
Lost in Divorce: UC1S70257 (71 Series III 2+2 w/ auto)