Lock keys in car?

Is it possible to lock the keys in either the car or the trunk. My dealer says he doesn’t think so. My keys are missing and I need to look inside or in the trunk.

Possibly, I can open the boot with the car staying locked I think so theoretically I could leave the keys in the boot and then close it?

1 Like

Use your OTHER KEYS. (please don’t say you only have one key)

You can certainly lock the keys in the boot, but there is another way they could find themselves locked inside the car.

If you leave the keys in the car, open the bonnet, disconnect the battery, then reconnect it, the car will automatically lock all the doors.

The Mk3 Mondeo certainly does this. I can’t remember if the X type does but they use essentially identical locking systems. So similar in fact that the keys are cross compatable in terms of immobiliser and remote chips. Latches are the same too.

If you need to get in, that’s easy. Get a Tibbe key picking device. It’ll not only pick the lock, but also give you the correct pattern in order for you to get replacement keys made up.

Thanks for your ideas. I paid a towing company to get in the front door, but the keys weren’t inside. They still may be in the trunk, but I’m going to have a new key made to get in there.

When I attended NP02 (Jaguar New Product 2002) for the X-Type we all noted that there was no mechanical way to access the boot lid latch.

The instructor told us that the least expensive way into the boot when the circuitry or latch failed was to ‘smash’ your way in via the left tail lamp.

A few years later I did indeed need to get into the boot of a customer car that way.

The whole shop crowded around to watch what everyone had heard about the brutal way to open the lid.

I used a large HOLE SAW and then removed enough plastic lens material to get my arm to the ‘emergency-boot-lid-release’ handle.

Crazy thing about cost cutting and engineering.

Those emergency release things on the inside are a US mandated thing aren’t they? I haven’t seen one on my dad’s X type, although I have seen the odd other car with them they aren’t that common here.

Early mk3 Mondeos had a lock with a way to mecahnically open the boot hidden under the lip where the registration plate lights sit. They removed it after a couple of years. It’s less of a problem on the Mondeo since they are mostly all hatchbacks and you can just fold the seat down and climb into the boot.

The Mondeo also had an interior boot release button until mid 2005 which jag didn’t carry over. I wonder if the X type GEM has the pin for it still. Another thing people have noticed about those cars is that if the drivers door lock mechanism is failing, then it will also affect being able to open the boot.

Thanks for the info. Problem is solved. Bought a new key and had it programmed to the car. Old key and wallet were in the car.

I need to dig out my spare key. Trouble is bulk of the key pod is makes it hard to carry two.

This is me just thinking about having ONLY one key.

disappointed

Once you have two keys, it’s easy to add more. Just get it cut and follow the programming procedure with the ignition barrel. Thus if you have three keys, it doesn’t matter if you lose one, you can just add a new one with the two that are left. If you only have two keys and lose one, then you’re going to need tools in order to program a new key.

So my rule with this lock system is to always have three keys.

When I went to Jaguar training classes we talked about the ‘2 key’ configuring the 3rd and the consensus was that a key configured by the 2 key method could never be used to configure another key.

In other words, you need 2 MASTER key that were originally configured with a diagnostic machine to configure another. A key that was added with the 2-key was not a MASTER key.(it would work to start the engine but not to configure another)

I don’t think I ever tested this premise but it makes sense.

On the older ford lock systems (like on a 1995 Fiesta), there were master keys that were a different colour (usually red), and then regular keys. The red master key would put the car into programming mode.

When they changed to the two key type system in 1998, that did away with the idea of master keys. All keys are now equals, As far as I’m aware it’s possible to use any two working keys to enter the reprogramming mode, with no restriction on how those keys were added originally.

I suspect one of the keys supplied with my Mondeo was not an original ford key and had been added in this manner, but it still entered programming mode just fine allowing me to add a third key.

Well I never get to try this out because whenever someone needs keys, they usually only have ONE.

This method will NOT work with the X100/X308 cars. It does work with the S-Type and X-Type.

I have 3 WDS and 2 IDS diagnostic units so I just configure away as normal.

This thread motivated me to dig out my spare key pod. The reason it doesn’t reside on my key ring is it’s bulk. I wish it was possible to just get a blade. Have that as the back-up to open the car or even drive it. I carry my car key pod by itself and have a separate ring with all my other keys. Have done so since I was 16 with my first car (MG). With my XJ40 and X300, the key was separate from the remote locking pod and I had a back-up key on my key ring. I was once caught out, having only one car key, when I lost the key, skiing at Mt. Norquay. Had to get a ride home with a friend and then back the next day with the spare key to rescue my car (Celica SR5).