Long live the X Type

I purchased a 2002 3.0 sedan about a year ago and have used as my daily driver since. I’m very happy with the use I’ve got out of it. It has proven to be very reliable and economical. I bought it to use to go skiing among other things. Last year, I installed a Jaguar ski rack and this fall I put on a set of Nokian ice rated winter tires. When I replace it, I hope to replace it with a newer wagon. It performs like a sports car.

1 Like

I have a 45 miles each way, commute to work. Here is Alaska, the Winter is long, somewhat dark, and can be anything from sleet and snow to rain or ice-fog…I bought an '03 X-type a few years ago. I LOVE it as my Winter commuter so much, that I bought a ‘spare’ '02 X-type to have just in case anything ever happens to my '03. I don’t ever want to be without an X-type, it is my favourite Winter car. (I still like driving my E-types and XJ6 in the Summer though)

Prior to this I have had two XJ6’s; first an XJ40, then an X300. These both gave me good service and were daily drivers. I replaced the X300 with an XK8, which I used as my daily driver till I got the X Type. I still drive the XK8 occasionally, year round, to keep it lubricated and I take it to shows and on road trips in the summer. The XK8 is my golf car, as it can fit two bags of golf clubs in the trunk, along with some flat luggage for road trips.

I love my Jags; they are true driver’s cars.

I bought my 2006 Estate Wagon 6 months ago, with 170,000 miles on it and I have been driving it for 6 months with no problems, and none expected. Bought it in the SF Bay Area, drove it home to Nevada that day, drove it to Ashland Oregon the next week and we are going to Tuscon AZ for Xmas. It runs fine. 24 mpg at 70 mph on freeways, I can’t wait to see how it handles in the snow. If we ever get any, but that’s another story.
P.

I was down in your neck of the woods two weeks ago. My friend and I went on a crazy marathon road trip to pick up a car he bought near Sacramento. We used my 3/4 ton GM and his dolly to pick up a Corvair Monza and trailer it back to his place near Lethbridge CDN. We did it in a day and a half down and a day and a half back.

After a lot of fudging around, we left his place at 3:00 pm on the 25th and drove down the I-15 to Dillon MT where we overnighted. After an early start, we drove to Sacramento, via Twin Falls, Elco, Reno and the Donner Pass. We ran into monsoon rain in the Donner Pass; which made for some interesting driving. After getting the car on the dolly, we left about noon on the 27th. Before leaving, I checked the road reports and the Donner Pass was closed, so we elected to go up through central California and Oregon. We took the I-5 to Weed and the 97 to Madras, where we overnighted. After another early start, we drove the 97 to Biggs, on the Columbia, crossed the river and took 14 to Pasco and on through Ritzville, Spokane, St. Regis; where we took back roads up to Kalispell. Because of the paperwork, the car had to be exported-imported through Sweetgrass MT. , so we were headed to the Maria’s Pass.

Up until then, aside from the Donner Pass, we had had clear, dry roads and beautiful driving conditions. My truck has an extended cab and an 8’ box, giving it a very long wheelbase. With a dolly on the back and a car strapped to the dolly, it has a turning circle of the Queen Mary. Backing up was a scary thought.

We left Kalispell at dark and pushed on. At West Glacier the going was still good. As we headed into the pass, the snow started coming down, heavier and heavier the farther we went. It was wet and accumulating on the road, putting us on the edge of loosing traction. We couldn’t turn around; we could only go on. It took forever but we finally got to the top of the pass and things started to ease up. By Browning, the road was bare and dry again. At Cutbank, we parked the car and dolly for a couple of days, while the paperwork caught up and drove home, arriving while the sun was coming up.

It was a crazy trip, but covered a lot of interesting country. Unfortunately, a lot of it was at night. We could have planned better.

We just made a 1,900 mile round trip for xmas, it ran fine, got good mileage. I checked and raised the tire pressures before we left, to the manual recommended 38F 35R.
P.