Longest period of stewardship

10 December 2018.

On this day I become the person who has owned my E-Type the longest. One of its POs owned the car for 15 years and 7 months. I’ve met them, her actually. A few years ago I made contact and arranged to let her see the car. She and her husband were enthusiasts, owners of many other Jaguars over the years, and were please to see the car still being cared for. I will write to them to let them know the car is now more mine than theirs!

Over the last 15 years and 7 months and 1 day, I have driven the car over 60,000 miles. I have logged every journey made and every penny spent, except that spent on petrol. My OCD doesn’t stop there, I’ve even written a book about the car and my experience of owning it. Pure vanity, I know.

Upon reaching this milestone I’ve begun wondering whether I should continue, lest the car becomes a millstone. I’ve had some very good times owning and using the car. However, the 60,000 miles began impressively. There were a number of failures that called journeys to a halt, only once requiring outside assistance, but several times requiring spanners at the roadside. Faults included a shattered rotor arm, a cheap and underspecified alternator, a fuel pump, a blocked filler drain hose, cheap lucar connectors, poorly fitted tyres and a variety of niggles that should have been sorted by the most recent PO, a business selling E-Types. But once these initial problems had been sorted, the miles racked up with little bother from matters mechanical. Quite long journeys were contemplated and completed without issue. The result of this is limited to a marginally increased consumption, or loss of, oil; and persistent appetite for coolant, the cause of which has never been identified; and an engine which I can never tune to be efficient enough to better 24 mpg. I’m sure this run of good fortune may have an end, I hope it is not yet.

Whilst the bulk of the 60,000 miles has been without breakdown, it hasn’t been completely trouble free. The trouble with a car this old, over 50 years, is that there are a number of things that happen that modern cars are free from. This summer I had to replace the distributor cap and rotor arm. The service interval for these items is 30,000 miles. I think they had been on the car for a little longer than that. Also this summer I experienced a complete collapse of the steering column bushes. The lower bush suddenly wore through in a matter of a few days leaving me with a very wobbly steering wheel. Fixing things such as these is part and parcel of owning an older classic car. It’s one of the reasons I own my E-Type.

Today, the car sits alone in my garage. It is waiting for its annual winter fettling. This winter I will be concentrating on the suspension. Every bush, bearing and joint will be checked, and if found wanting, replaced or rebuilt. I will check both ends of the tie rods at both ends of the steering rack. The wheels will be re-trued and re-balanced. The engine gearbox and axle will receive a complete set of fluid changes, as will all the hydraulics. Winter fettling also includes a wheel arch clean and a full re-application of waxoyl to inner and outer panels and all the box sections. With fresh oil and coolant the engine will be re-tuned, ignition will be checked, the carbs mechanically re-adjusted and then tuned. And the whole car will be cleaned and polished, probably several times before it makes its next journey onto salt free roads.

Next year’s outings are already being planned. There will be days out, weekends away and maybe one or two week tours, perhaps organised, perhaps impromptu. I’m not sure I will do this for another 15 years and 7 months. I’m not even sure we may be allowed to drive old cars in 15 years and 7 months time. If personal transport survives, it is likely to be quite different from today. Or we may be in some dystopia or other where such choice has been removed.

12 Likes

Chris,

I love your affair with the car, admirable. As for your ambivalence about keeping it only you can make that decision of course. It comes down to your relationship with the car and that can’t be judged by another. If you sold it could you have more enjoyment with the money received by doing, owning or driving something else? Personally I wouldn’t recommend selling as long as you’re ambivalent, some day you will be sure of your decision but not today :slight_smile:

pauls

Virus-free. www.avast.com

3 Likes

Congratulations, Chris. Great story, too. I’ve stewarded my E for 36 years, 6 months and 5 days but have put on less than 2/3rds of your mileage. Impressive.

Similar story, different numbers, for my Jag.

As @paul_spurlock stated, until there is no ambivalence…keep it.

I took his—and my wife’s—similar advice, and contemplated selling mine for about 4 years.

No regrets.

Well done, Chris. Congratulations.

1 Like

Congratulations. Great post!

Next March it will be 20 years since I have mine, found right here on what was then better known as the E-type mailing list. I ve put about 70k miles on it, including many cross country run like Miami - Seattle in 45 hours door to door, any many more!

1 Like

We bought our car 40 years ago last May, with my wife 8 months pregnant with our first child. I convinced her it was an investment in our kid’s college education. Here we are today, our daughter having graduated some 18 years ago and we still have the car. The E Type has turned out to be an investment in making great friends and having many wonderful adventures over the past 40 years.

3 Likes

And that Seattle trip IIRC included a photo of the car in the snow! Worthy of a repost.
pauls

2 Likes

On selling. Think long and hard. Then think long and hard again. When I decided to sell the 2+2 everybody told me I’d regret it. I knew better though, or at least thought I did. So go ahead and ask me why I bought a FHC as soon as a suitable candidate came along.

My advice would be to hang on to it until it comes a choice between keeping the car and paying the rent.

And then consider that in a pinch you can sleep in the car. :smile:

4 Likes

I bought my '68 on Oct 13 1972 for $3,300.00 plus a clapped out and rusted MGA valued at $300 bucks. I’ve put many many miles on it over the years with various speedometers - 150k plus? Car’s been all over Canada and the U.S, with the exception of the south east. Was a JCNA concours entrant for 10 plus years, now it’s into autocrossing with various mods to make it faster. Currently getting a new interior, and maybe a Monocoque Metalworks closed headlight conversion. Love to drive it still.

Interesting, previous owner had my E for 30 years i’m coming up to 23 years. Previous owner “fixed” the substantial rust issues with a mix of newspaper and bog so I have mixed feelings about him.

I’ve only done 20,000 miles though except in my head where i feel i’ve done many more.

Almost finished a complete strip down and new interior, paint etc to celebrate her retirement from gentlemen’s racing.

“…with the exception of the south east…”

Hey! What’s up with the South East Terry!!

Les Just never made it there with the E Type. Seemed a long way from Winnipeg - it was a long way from Winnipeg!

Hi,

Yes, that’s very cool.

Until today I am also the one who held on to 1E76372BW the longest, 16 years and 3 months, first 24 months putting the car back together and then drove almost 42.000 miles in 15 summers (67.000kms). The current (German) owner has now had it for a bit over 6 years. And in December I have had 1S20183 for six years. :smiley:

In Finland I only know ONE original owner who has had his car since October 1967, 1E16061.
http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=1E16061

And Jack, I bought our Ser 1 2+2 (my first car ever) also when my wife was five months pregnant with our first child. :slight_smile: Before that I only had motorbikes (and R/C toys etc.)

Cheers!

We (parents and I) had Tweety for 51 years.

So Terry, are we going to see this elusive car next fall?
Cheers,
LLynn :wink:

I bet I am the one who held my car apart for the longest. 18 years and counting

Bill, You’ve a long way to go. My '63 OTS was apart for 30 years. I bought it in 1967 for $2,700. Originally it had been a Hertz rental in San Francisco. 50k+ miles since a high dollar 3 year restoration completed in 2005.

Original owner of 70 E FHC for 48 years. I do not pay attention to the values of Es, have gotten off cheap with about $18K over the last 48 years. Will put another $6K in a new 5 speed if I can find the right one before the next “Oil Leak” Car is a driver with all the dents and dings and not sure if I will ever have body work done.
My wife asked me what car was was my favorite the E or new Alfa? The E is my first love and the Alfa my mistress. Tried to get plates with “MISTRESS” but it was already taken.
Glenn

2 Likes

I haven’t owned my 69 OTS for almost 50 years, but I drove to the dealership with my father to pick it up in May of 1969. There are not many things you can do in life that remind you of being 18, but driving this car is one of them for me.