Longest period of stewardship

Good point. Before buying any car in any condition, due diligence is a must do activity. I guess it really comes down to, “why did I buy this car”?
Now get away from the computer and get back to work on that XK!
Phillip

1 Like

So true, Nick. I did an engine and clutch job on my E a few years ago. It was my first venture in what I consider major work on a car. With the help of Pete Crespin, this forum and the E Type UK forum, I muddled through the job in about nine months. Doing the job essentially myself lead to a vastly increased knowledge of the car and great satisfaction in DIY when the job was done. The only problem is that I’ve now caught the bug and would love to take on a project car (not a basket case) just so that I could again enjoy the process.

2 Likes

buy an MGB or Spitfire GT6

1 Like

Not likely to happen due to life being in the way, but if I were to take the plunge again, I would rather have something along the lines of an MGTC or TD or a TR3.

1 Like

Agreed. 67 or earlier.

That car came off the line right behind mine! Literally, the next car! I’ve had my '68 since 1982 when I bought it for $2600. Fixed it up and was driving it until 1993 when the brake system gave up the ghost and she went into the garage for the next 20 years. I will hopefully be driving it again by the end of the coming summer.

2 Likes

My dad bought this e type in late 1967 and it has been in the family continuously since then - currently living and still regularly driving in Vermont :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I bought my 1969 ots in June, 1972. My second car. My first, a factory ordered 1970 TR6. I traded that in plus
$2000.00 to purchase the ‘E’. Still on the road; as the dream car of my teens, I cannot fathom parting with it.

3 Likes

That is one beautifully straight car.

And 46 years of stewardship isn’t too shabby either.

1 Like

My dad bought 889982, a late 3.8 FHC in 1964, then gave it to me in 1989 or so. I got the engine unseized and the car running again, much to everyone’s surprise. It was my biggest accomplishment as a novice “mechanic”. I’m now getting a frame-off restoration done and having it repainted the original light blue.

3 Likes

hello to you all
i need help finding a Borg Warner transmission for 1974 e type
the original one is BW T 12
PLEAS HELP
bnissim@013.net

My old friend, Jerry Mouton, owned his 1964 E-Type Coupe for 43 years before he passed in 2017.

2 Likes

'brought mine home Aug 15th 1975. It is presently well into a complete restoration (bare metal, complete rebuild.

I’m fairly sure the car will outlast me - isn’t that great?

2 Likes

Since this thread popped up again - took a 100+ mile drive and had lunch with 2 other E-Type owners. Both were original owners - a 72 S3 and a 66 S1. The Series 1 owner says he broke down as he was driving home to Tucson from the dealer in Phoenix – a group of Indians came to his aid (he was on the reservation) and got him to a phone where dealer told him (insert British accent) that the car had been sitting on the showroom floor for several months and he probably just needed to whack the fuel pump. Back at the car he did and was on his way again. Today was his first long drive since completing a total refresh of the vehicle.

3 Likes

Jennifer, who’s car I’m refurbishing has owned her '68 since 1972, it was a replacement for her previous E Type that burned up when someone threw a cigarette into it.
Cheers,
LLynn

I have had my 1968 XKE series 1.5 since 1982 and my uncle bought it new in California. It was a one owner California car until I transferred title in February of 2019. When I got the car back on the road in 1982 it had 6,500 miles. It has 15,000 miles now and has been completely restored except for the original paint and interior. All chrome, inside and out is like new. The air conditioning works great as does all systems. I recently re did the head so I could burn unleaded fuel. All seals replaced. Rubber does not age well. So much great fun to drive. I enjoy your comments and fully agree. These cars are like a crazy young girlfriend you cannot resist! Drive on!!!

2 Likes