Looking at a 140 soon, what should I know?

Looking at a 140 soon, what should I know?

I know, it’s bottomless pit of a question. I still own my second E-Type, I’ve restored 2 MGAs, A TD and a TC/Q Special so I’m familiar with British cars and can fight my way through a basic inspection.

I need to know what to look for that will be a trouble spot typical to a 140 roadster. Such as:

Typical spots on the body and frame that perforate first,
Are there places were wood should be used but might be missing b/c of rot,
Brake and running gear changes and upgrades such as modern parts subbing for authentic.

I’ve got a coffee table book or two for general info. Is there a “Buyer’s Guide” that I might go to?

Thanks

I am no expert, but I know the weak points of my 140 restoration project. My car is looks relatively rust free, but there was still rust lurking behind the B-posts, the sills, and particularly the channel beam structures on either side of the dash assembly. The bottom part of these was actually missing so I did not catch it until I looked for it specifically. See how the doors shut. The hinges wear and are a beast to get to. The structure of these cars is very similar to your MGAs so you will be familiar with the details. The battery box is probably shot unless it has been replaced. Personally, I wish the battery was in the trunk or somewhere not exposed to the triple whammy of mud, salt and battery acid. There is a lot of chrome on these cars so its condition, and repair of the underlying parts can add up quickly. I would check for completeness. Replacing parts is generally more expensive than rebuilding and some parts are not available, or if they are, the price will make you wish they were not. I would not sweat the items you will probably replace or upgrade anyway like brakes, suspension bushings, and shocks, but if brake parts are missing that would be a problem. My OTS does not have any wood except the frame of the trunk lid. It will not be visible unless the lining is removed. Mine is in good shape. Finally, I would just stand back and evaluate the car as a whole. Mine was driven hard and as a result, many parts were worn and tired. That required that a lot of items, large and small, be replaced or rebuilt unless I wanted to live with sub optimal performance. It can all be redone, but at a price.

1 Like

Being well stuck in to a full body off (and sectioned) restoration of a 140 DHC, the top three places to check are the door hinges, door hinges and door hinges. And the wooden door frames and, I guess, the bootlid. The door hinges are the worst piece of design on the car, but will at least not be carrying the weight of the door glass as in the drophead. If the car has not been restored, and the steel hinge pins have rusted into the steel hinges (almost guaranteed if it’s not had work), you will have a big job on your hands. Any element of drop in the doors is not a good sign, and I would try to see behind the trim to see if the bolt head in the hinge is turning with the door, or is staying put.
Failing that, it’s the usual rust areas, common to most cars of the period. Mechanicals are not a particularly big deal as they are, by and large, pretty simple and not complex. Trim is always do-able as long as the metal parts are all there, and it’s nice to have the original instruments and switchgear present as some of that won’t be easy to find. Otherwise it’s down to spec and depth of pockets, really.