Looking at an '84 XJS (XJ-S?) tomorrow

Probably the quickest way to get up to date on the ownership of a Jaguar is an ebook here on the forum by Kirby Palms. The next is an electronic version of the service manual or if you want a hard bound copy here in the US books4cars

1 Like

You’ll want to look at these pages:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/HandbrakeClevisProblem.html

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/InboardBrakeUpgrade.html

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this since you asked it. I haven’t looked yet, but what’s the significance of this?

I got the answer from the door tag. That’s why I checked the color code on the door too. The car is a Federal car or at least the door is and the color codes on the door appear to match the car too.

What initially sparked the question and why does it matter?
The Euro-style headlamps & headlight washers. These weren’t available on US cars.
First off euro Jags have features that aren’t available on US versions, also the performance numbers are usually better on euro cars than the US / Federal versions.

1 Like

Thanks, Mark! I had no idea. That also answers the question of why mine has the euro headlights. The night before I bought it, 99% of the '83-'85 (I wasn’t yet sure what year this car was) I saw on the internet had the twin headlights. I didn’t know why these headlights were different.

Side note: I printed both yours & Kirbert’s posts re: brakes—was then able to have a reasonably intelligent conversation with the shop owner Friday. He was the one who told me “around 6 hrs” for the repair. Evidently, the jag mechanic in the shop who’s doing the work, as soon as he heard what the owner had said to me about the labor, said " you said WHAT".

That was one anxious shop owner who answered the phone when I called. LOL We discussed why it was going to take longer, etc. He knew that the back end needed to come out & that it would take a good day but after speaking to the mechanic, he realized that he’d underestimated the quote & was afraid to call me. That’s really okay with me because of your info (or else I’m more comfortable with anxious, apologetic men? That’s a little scary.)

He’s adjusting the quote & will call me Monday. I expect the cost to at least double but we knew we were getting off easy.

I COMPLETELY get the “dropping the cage” thing now. Can’t remember who said it earlier but it was hilarious.

This is the #2 reason I never had kids. I get to use my money on me from time to time. Selfish? Maybe. I love traveling to the UK. LOL (#1 reason is GAH—as a dog trainer I can crate a dog when it gets stupid. I can’t crate unruly children. That looks kinda bad.)

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m doing this correctly—hitting “reply” to give you guys an update.

The shop called me this afternoon, they’ve got the rear end out & wanted to know if I would like to come in to see it, go through everything, etc. Couldn’t get there fast enough.

I took several pics & I don’t know about you guys but I was stunned when I saw the undercarriage. Clean. I didn’t see much rust other than around the trunk/boot & down the rear fascia below. I have not checked the door undersides yet or deep around the engine. I can’t keep the grin off my face.

The mechanic said that he hadn’t seen one of these in such good shape. Could have been blowing smoke but…I’m liking this car more & more.

I hope it’s okay to keep uploading pics. I’d like you guys to see it.

I think I forgot to reply to this. The shop has it now, they’re replacing the rear calipers, rotors, etc. I asked him to go ahead & replace all the rubber hoses (thank you for suggesting this) & belts.

I bought both Lexol & Leatherique (I believe Mark mentioned that one)—testing both out on the Crossfire seats, which I’m ashamed to admit I haven’t “fed” in years.

Let’s see…OH - that phone. I can’t decide whether to take it out of the car or leave it where it is. It’s definitely a keeper. I haven’t seen one of those in, well, 30 years. heh

One of the first things I want to attack is that headliner. I WILL be picking your brains then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

be sure to have them check the rear differential seals, If the input shaft (yoke) is leaking have the shop mark the nut location (with a drift or chisel) on the pinion shaft and the shaft to the yoke. That nut sets the preload on the bearing and crush sleeve. it’s important to get in the same place as it was otherwise the preload will be off, and the pinion & ring gear in the diff won’t meet in the same place and the end result is a gear whine.

Leather Lexol PH balanced cleaner is perfect for the cleaning, be careful though it’s will take the dye out of the leather (speaking from experience ugh!), so I’d seriously dilute it in a bucket of water. Another, actually I prefer is GROIT’s leather cleaner & conditioner works very well. If the leather is really dry, don’t sit on it, until it’s been conditioned. A Tack shop is a great resource for leather cleaning and conditioning. I picked up this little jar of conditioning creme. The stuff is amazing! I’ve also used Lemon pledge furniture oil. this stuff does a fabulous job, but the oil can dissolve the foam on the other side of the leather.

The phone is a keeper!
Have your man dress like Magnum PI, White tight pants, Hawaiian printed shirt, and the Tom Selleck iconic mustache. pull up in the Vallet Parking, and have him stand half in the car pretending to talk on the Jag phone (It’s like a Bat phone but way cooler) :laughing:

That car is beyond clean,
I’m sorry to say bu suspiciously clean. I feel like that fresh white paint is hiding a secret. the rust drips down the rear under the bonnet are tell tale signs of a respray, and that there is something lurking underneath. Sorry, I don’t mean to be a debbie downer, but there’s something lurking under the paint. Did the car live in a costal city; one near or on the ocean? The reason why I ask is because the rust “drips/runs” are typical signs of a car near salt air.

The head liner. It’s a fiddly Job. If you can find a professional to do it, and has done a Jag headliner, then flip him 4 or 5 hundred bucks, you’ll be money ahead. Good source for fabric is Pauls Jags (or Jaguars - can’t remember which) out of Florida, they sell an amzaing headliner, and the smarmy bastard who answers the phone really knows his stuff.

2 Likes

That pic shows clearly where the rear anti-sway bar should be mounted.

I love your euro headlights too. Does your headlights have city lights?

Don’t even think about being sorry to be a “debbie downer”. I appreciate all the advice. I haven’t taken a magnet to it yet—you also mentioned that you thought at least the pass dr’s been repainted. I’ll check for all that.

The car lived in Lexington, KY until last year, belonged to a little old multi-millionaire (bought new) who fell on hard times & had to sell his 12-car collection—the jag was the last one he sold (to a friend of his, who sold it to me). I’m pretty sure he has at least run over something because of a little piece missing on the lower right front fascia, under the headlight. My first thought was that it was too clean, I know my enthusiasm is over-riding my suspicions.

When I get it back I’m going to go over it—wait, actually, the more, the merrier—Monday I think I’m going to ask the mechanic to check for repainting/filler, etc. Really go over that body. Then I’m going to do it myself.

edit: I’m a little fatalistic in that if it’s been repaired/replaced/repainted, there isn’t anything I can do about it BUT it’s very good to know if it has been.

I can’t tell. Can these Euro lights have city lights? I can’t see past the front glass.

Okay, what’s missing from the car. LOL Other than no washers on the headlights I didn’t know anything could be missing.