Looking at an E-Type (Toronto area_... Help! :-) )

Hi Everyone,

I have never owned an E Type, though I have wanted one since I was too young to drive. It is thus, with some trepidation that I am going to look at one in the near future. I have bought enough second hand cars to be aware of the “I really want it” factor being a poor advisor.

So - I am hopeful that, if it’s not too much trouble, I could enlist the help of a knowledgeable E-Type type :slight_smile: who could assist me in the viewing and evaluation of the car in question. I believe that the car is in or around Oakville (west of T.O.) , but have to confirm this (the pictures suggest it though). If you could drop me a line, I would deeply appreciate it.

I am going to attempt to schedule the viewing for a Saturday or Sunday in the next month or two. I will be happy to recompense you for your time, in cash, Beer, Scotch or your preference.

Thanks all - This is exciting! :slight_smile: well. for me.

Research what to look for in an E before you go, so you can make good use of your time. Floorpans, sills, trunk, battery pan, all places to check for rust. If it’s a high mileage engine, add in cost of engine and transmission rebuild. Check suppliers for cost of new interior. Beware that often cars advertised as “restored” are nothing more than “pigs with lipstick” shiny paint jobs belie the disaster lurking beneath. Does it start? Run? Stop? Most restoration shops will tell you that a first class job will run $75000 USD in addition to the acquisition cost of the car. Best wishes for a successful hunt!,

Bruce,

I’m in Toronto and will work for a D-type T shirt. Will send a PM with contact info.

Bob

Thanks! I’m going armed with Peter Crespin’s very useful book and someone from this forum… Can’t wait to see the car… :slight_smile:

Next month, eh? Sounds like a private sale. I know a thing or two about E-types and may be up to it by then - Oakville’s about 45 minutes away, but Dino aka @69E is right there in the neighborhood.

Definitely my neck of the woods. Would love to help out.

I’m sure @ajdell will also be game … though I wonder if the vendor would be ok with a bunch of E-types showing up in his driveway.

Depends on how he feels about oil spots on his drive. :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Thanks @Nickolas @69E 69E, and at @John_Walker :joy:

I’ve already got some help here, but I’d be happy for you to look at some pics if you have the time - It’s been suggested to me that Nick is knowledgable about the 1.25 and 1.5s, and the one I am looking at is a 1.5. It is actually NOT a private sale, but if you don’t mind I’ll send you guys a PM with a link to the website selling this. Thanks for weighing in!

cheers - Bruce

Sure. Be happy to take a look.

It would of been a great almost post covid tour! Forecast this Thurs calling for 16 celcius…almost tempted but too much salt on roads

How are you coming along??

@WoodBoatChick … ooops - sorry for the delay - didn’t see this. Will likely be going to see the car in a couple of weeks… would probably have arranged for this past weekend had I had the time - would have been great weather for a test drive… :slight_smile:

Well, How did the inspection Go? Did you buy it? If so how much ?

Got it. The inspection was great. It was painful - I have several threads on this regarding export/import, it took 3 months from the purchase dat for the delivery to be achieved and I am still waiting on the "year of manufacture plates, ordered 7 weeks ago… so - everything with this car was … slow.

But it is here. I bought it. Cost? More than I hoped bu less than I expected… ! :slight_smile:

On delivery the front driver’s side shock seems to be sagging a bit and the paint in the passengers side
engine nacelle is flaking off - looks like the paint was applied without the metal being prepared properly - other than that, it is what it claimed to be - a show car. Please see pics attached

I am a happy camper, but will be much happier when my license plates arrive!!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Bruce, if it’s sagging a bit, it’ll be the torsion bar that needs adjusting, not the shock.

1 Like

She’s a beauty Bruce , well done !

2 Likes

Bruce, you done good! What a gorgeous car, don’t see many BRGs. Does it have eared knockoffs? You can just sit in it until the plates come, thats what I do when I need a little morale boost. Congratulations, and will look forward to reading how it sorts out!

1 Like

Ah good to know unclmank! I’ll look into that - thanks!

@Keithmac and @WoodBoatChick WoodBoatChick - Thanks!

The car came with 3 sets of knock offs, 1 eared and well used, 1 eared and spotless and 1 non eared (correct for this car) that are also spotless, so I’m very fortunate.

I may get temporary plates soon - sitting in the car and making “vroom” noises is of course rewarding :joy: but with the weather improving up here… ! ha ha.

2 Likes