Looking for a hard top

Does anyone have any experience with the below hard tops?

SNG
Smoothline
Classic quality UK
EBay used (parrish plastic) (dynaplastics) (no name)

I would look for a factory original that you can restore if needed. They show up on Ebay… I did that, it fits perfectly, looks great and provides a whole new driving experience.

Thanks Jay.

What’s the best way to tell if they are factory original?

It will be old, beat to hell, missing the rear chrome, maybe all chrome. The headliner will be stained and scraped up. The rear window will be scratched. The shell under the window might be cracked. All good indicators of an original top. :wink:

We have someone here trying to get the currently available reproduction top assembled. I can’t recall who though. Try searching for hard top posts in the last few months.

Thanks Erica

I’m assuming the originals are in metal and repros in fibreglass…

The restored repros (close to original) are north of 6k without paint, the half decent repro used ones are around 5 that are still missing the chrome details.

Just looking for something I can snap on and go without costing a fortune, the search continues…

Surprisingly no, all of the original shells were formed fiberglass. The only aluminum one I’ve ever seen is the one CJ custom made for one of their cars. The low drags were AL but not removable.

That may be a needle in a haystack. Marco managed to turn up a nice one. I looked for years and only managed to fund a complete original one requiring restoration.

1 Like

Dino, see attached. The red highlights the details on an original:
-extended chrome trim above door sill
-shape of upper door chrome trim
-rear window chrome surround. Note-Many originals are missing this.

(Attachment Hart top detail.docx is missing)

You could ask the guy just down the road who has one to scope it out for you.

When I acquired my OTS 38 years ago (I am most definitely starting to feel old) it was fitted with its original factory hardtop with all its chrome and decent rear window. I had a single car garage at the time and it was a pita to store when off the car so I tried to sell it, iirc for $700-$800. After a year and no takers I decided to keep it. It’s been a love/hate relationship ever since. Love it when it’s mounted early spring and late fall, hate it when it’s off the car and needs to be stored someplace it won’t get damaged. I replaced the headliner several years ago, used the spray adhesive recommended by the upholstery shop and have watched it delaminate incrementally. Now I need to take the #&zz@# thing apart again.

I’d offer to let you try mine on your car to make sure you really want one, Dino, but they’re not plug and play. You need to fit them, adjusting the two rear and three front hold downs to achieve a good seal. Instead you’re invited to take my ‘68 for a spin when this virus thing blows over - in exchange for me trying out your Mangoletsi setup?

Got that engine sorted out yet?

1 Like

Dino
There a chap on Classified selling an OTS project and he mentions he has a hard top which could be possibly for sale.
gsmoy@telus.net he’s in BC.

1 Like

Hey Nick you’re right…

I’ll take you up on the offer. I’m sure this virus is on the way out, less than 300 cases in Ontario yesterday, things are looking good!

Engine is about a day away from starting, because of the fire wall and frame resto things took a lot longer to put in place…

I’ll post some pice tomorrow.

Dino, see attached detail:
-chrome trim to the right of the door sill
-chrome trim shape at top of door opening
-rear window chrome trim surround - note this is often missing from originals

1 Like

Here are some photos of an original 69. (Yes Erica, I certainly lucked out ) .
Before finding this one I was working with Welsh on an original SI hard top. It needed to be restored and the rear window chrome was there (mine did not not have it) which is worth between $900 to $1300 and you better pray it fits.
We spoke several times, once with the owner, made offers but never heard back.
I recall reading somewhere that later hard tops only came in black and white and the only difference between an SI and SII hard top is the latch but they share the same bolt patterns and can be easily swapped.
Also, like Nick mentioned, they don’t just bolt on. Well, they do but after you’ve tuned it to your car.
I believe one of our club members may have one ( heard this awhile back as we were talking about hardtops).
I can check if you would like me to.

1 Like

Hi Marco

That’s my biggest concern, to buy a top and then find out can’t get a window or trim for it. There are a bunch of companies that made repro’s. The chrome trim around the window and corner really make the top.

The current ones available on Ebay are not worth what they’re asking, missing essential pieces and are still commanding top dollar like 5k plus, a shame really.

It’s a nice thing to have especially up in Toronto, it extends the season and it looks great. You’ve done a great job on your top and your car is a wonderful example of an e-type!

Yes, I would appreciate it if you reached out to the club member for me.

Thanks Marco

Thanks Dino.
I’m in Michigan, about 40 minutes away from Detroit, and I agree with you that the hard top extends the season (great during Fall drives) its make for a better and quieter ride and definitely looks great.
XK’s makes a rear window for about $600 and the trim …well, keep your fingers crossed (but I am going by hear say and no personal experiences). For the time being I flipped the gasket so that the locking bead is inside leaving the smooth rubber on the outside 'till I decide to purchase the chrome trim.
You can’t tell by the photo but the Perspex has many battle scars which I tried to polish off with several hours of effort. It is much better but still very evident.
I’ll reach out to the club member and let you know.

Marco

1 Like

The Perspex will respond well to wet block sanding. Depending on how badly dinged you could start at 400 to 800 and work your way up (down?) to 3000 grit followed by compound buffing. Removed from the hardtop, of course.

Does look good on the OTS, though.

Dino,

I purchased an aftermarket from the usual’s. I actually purchased two, the “low cost” one and the “original” looking one. I strongly suggest you Do Not buy the low cost one as it does not look like the original and the quality is very low. The rear window came all scratched up. See the picture below.

I then spent the big bucks, $5k, on the repro which looks pretty good. The are a couple issues that go along with these hardtops. See the picture below.

1. The rear chrome that goes around the back windows is very difficult to get installed and keep installed. The hardtop flexes when you take it on and off the vehicles which allows the chrome to pop out of the rubber. But it is very do-able it just takes time and patience.
  2. The other issue is you really need to protect the paint underneath the hard top with a bra. I did not and it got scratched and chipped as dust and debris gathers between the rubber and the body. I think Marco shows how to do this on an earlier post.
  3. It is definitely more challenging getting in and out of the vehicle with the hardtop on. You need to build up your leg, glutes and abdominal muscles. Nothing a personal trainer can’t fix. :weight_lifting_man:
  4. Lastly all the chrome parts come with the kit and are also available from the usual’s except for the two halves around the rear window. It comes with the kit but if it gets damaged or lost I am not sure how you get a replacement. I would think the kit supplier would have it but I didn’t see it for sale direct from the usual’s. I will say the hardtop looks pretty good with or without the chrome on the rear window but if you want the original look it will take some work. You can see on my car there are two connector pieces, top and bottom, which join the rear window chrome halves together and they don’t sit quite right so I have a little work to do to try and fix them.

Having said all that I love the look of the E-Types with hardtops. I am probably in the minority on this one but I think they look better with one than without. And better looking than the soft top - just my opinion.

Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions!

Regards,
Bob

By hand or DA polisher ?

StunnEEEng !

I agree Bob, I believe they look better with the hard top.

1 Like

Between Bob, Nick, Jay, Erica and Marco how can I pass up the opportunity to purchase a hard top, all very fine examples.

I have located an original missing window chrome, somewhat reasonably priced, considering being local and in CDN funds. Just waiting for some pics to close the deal, it’ll be a great little project… I will most likely wrap it with a design that is creative yet tasteful.

Thanks for everyones help!

1 Like

Sanding block is what I used for wet paper. I switched to DA after 2k grit.