Looking for my father's red/black SR I E-type OTS

I’ve looked for years to find the red/black SR I E-type OTS my father owned when I was in junior high. I don’t have any info on it but that we lived in Albert Lea Minnesota in the mid 60’s when he owned it and I believe when he purchased a 69 E-type in the early 70’s (71?) he sold the early OTS; I believe possibly to someone in Rochester Minnesota. I’ve been told by folks in Rochester that they’ve seen an early red SR I E-type OTS at times roaming the streets. I believe it was an early 64 because it had bucket seats but I don’t believe it had an aluminum console (but it may have). But it may have been a 62 or 63. Or if any E-types had bucket seats produced in late 64, titled 65, that’s a possibility. Attached is a photo of the car in Albert Lea when my father owned it. The year is on the windshield but I can’t read it. One thing for sure when my father sold it, he most likely sold it with a very detailed 3 ring binder outlining everything he would have had serviced on it; he was an engineer and on the next E-type he owned he did this. His name was H. Lee Berghoff; again we lived in Albert Lea Minnesota. If anyone knows of any early red/black SR I E-type OTS cars in the Minnesota area that may have been in Minnesota for many years please contact me. I’d appreciate it.
I myself have been restoring E-types for many years; my cars can be found on my website which is: https://seepictures.wixsite.com/genesgarage/copy-of-74-e I live in Minnetonka Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis and my name if Gene Berghoff.

Welcome, Gene! Many of us have been regaled with your posts on BaT, and some of us go by our same names here on Jag-Lovers.

The members of this community will help you find your dad’s car. Might take a lot of sleuthing.

Please chime in on the many subjects here. Your expertise will be appreciated by the community.

1 Like

Is this it on xkedata.com ?

http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=877189

David
68 E-type FHC

That’s one of the OP’s cars.

Thanks for your assistance David. But this is one of my cars as seen on my website; https://seepictures.wixsite.com/genesgarage

Thanks again.

Gene

1 Like

Hi Gene,
There are tons of cars out there that may match the description but without any number, VIN, body, engine to positively ID the car it will be tough. You have the MN registration numbers that might help you find the VIN but not sure, check with the DMV. Beyond that there is carfax but they only started in the mid 80s so won’t show you a history prior to that, you still need the VIN to search any database. You can search xkedata.com for what you know about the car but again without any identifying numbers its just a guess as to which early red OTS it is. This one matches most of your description but its just one that happens to still be in MN.
http://xke.collectordata.com/cars/detail/?car=879792
pauls

1 Like

Thanks Paul,

Your are correct in that without the VIN # it will be challenging. I have written, for the third time, my father’s previous insurance agent and the state of MN DMV. We’ll see what happens,

BUT, the car you mentioned, is still here in MN at the Mpls Jaguar Dealer and was restored by a very good friend of mine. It never crossed my mind that this could be it. I’ll give him a call and see if he has records of where it came from.

Thanks for your input and assistance.

Gene

Gene was your father the first owner or do you know if he bought it new from a local Jaguar dealer ? If so you might be able to back track with a visit to the Heritage Trust in the UK. My Heritage Certificate lists the first owner as British Motor Cars of Santa Cruz CA and I have the original sales receipt from them to the actual first buyer. Even though I know the whole history of my car I am hopeful that on my next trip to the UK that I can set things up to view the actual ledger with all the info for my car. Since you know some of the details perhaps they would let you research the rest at their site ? Just a thought.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

Thanks again David. I am very familiar with the Jaguar Heritage certificates: Mike Cook, who managed the heritage certs for Jaguar for years, was a good friend of mine.
My father did not buy the car new, BUT you’ve given me an idea. I think I know the fellow who may have purchased it new so maybe with his name I can trace it back to get the VIN #, and then with that move forward from here. Thanks for your thoughts.
Gene