Looking for opinions

Ok so im looking at buying a second Jag and its a 1997 XK8 coupe with about 100k miles on it for the grand price of $2850! Yes it looks great, green with tan interior. The trans was replaced 30k miles ago, and all the timing parts and water pump were upgraded by the previous previous owner. The downfall is that it has a reconstructed title due to the previous previous owner hitting a deer. It was bought back, and rebuilt. I think it sounds good, but want to see what others think

Will this “re-constructed title” allow you to register the vehicle in your name and drive it on the street without restriction? If so, go for it.
Phillip

Yes it basically is just on the title that its “reconstructed”. It hurts the resale value, but i dont think it’d be hard to resell at that price if i decided to

Just make sure that you can liability insurance coverage. I’ve heard (though I have no personal experience) that this may be an issue.

Each Country or State has it’s own laws regarding SALVAGE TITLES.

I have a 2001 XJ8 with a salvage title and I have FULL COVERAGE (fire, theft, collision).

Once the car has been ‘repaired/rebuilt’ and inspected for proper repair, here in Texas USA there is no problem with anything EXCEPT resale value.

Many times a car is declared a ‘total-loss’ due to the cost of repairs in relation to the value.

A rule of thumb is that if the cost nears 80% of the value, it is ‘written-off’ by the insurance company.
If the car was repaired properly, you have a good value if the price is right.

bob

Yeah I had, until my accident, a 2005 Kawasaki zzr1200 thay had an r-tltle and I had full coverage no problems.

Your AAA or CAA, depending on your country, should be able to answer those insurance questions for you. If the car was properly repaired and inspected, the only long term problem I foresee is it will always be undervalued. Drive long and prosper! Keep it a long time, have fun with it, take it to car shows and in the end the difference will be insubstantial.

Yep I jumped on it! Couldn’t pass it up! I did find that at least one tire is cupped (drrrrrrrr) and it has some chips that have been touched up in the paint. Also the driver’s seat seam is split, and the “emergency brake is on” light stays on, but all in all its mine now! Oh and also it came with a pile of “spare parts” including another set of headlights, tail lights, a throttle body, 2 shifters, a seat back, 2 cats and lots of other stuff! Basically 2trunk loads of parts! Just to ask, one other thing I noticed is that when you open the door from outside the window drops a little (i knew it does it for the convertibles) but is it supposed to go back up on its own? I can make the window go all the way down by pulling up on the handle numerous times! Drrrr

1 Like

The windows need to be reset. This happens when the battery is disconnected. To reset; role the window all the way down and keep the button pressed until you hear a tick, then role the window up and hold till you hear the same tick.

”[quote=“Timeisrelative, post:8, topic:368288”]
“emergency brake is on[/quote]

The brake handle is designed to lie flat when the brake is set, so to disengage the park brake, you have to pull up on the handle until you feel a catch at the top and then push it down. The light should then go off.

I did just reset my windows and yes sir it worked! I will have to try to do the brake tomorrow, however I dont think it holds itself up at all when I pull up on it. Hmmmmm

I believe you press the button, pull up till you get resistance, and then push down. The reason I never use the park brake with an automatic; I inevitably forget and leave it on, burning out the brake.

1 Like

I could easily see that happening. I had an 89 probe gt that had the pull lever, but it stayed up since it was in the middle. Ill have to look into it more as the PO says he had rode around with the light on for about a year SMH!

One other thing I found is the steering wheel tilts fine, but I think its supposed to extend and retract. I can hear it “running” when I move the switch, but the wheel doesn’t move. Anyone else have this happen?

I had that happen with a previous XJ6. The flexible drive from the motor to the extension mechanism has broken. Jaguar wanted to replaced the whole mechanism, but I found a source of drive shafts from Coventry West. In the end I didn’t do it.

The P/O probably burnt out the park brake.

1 Like

Gotcha well crap! Lol!

The power seats, power mirrors and power wheel adjustment is tied together through the memory buttons. When everything works and the steering is switched on, it’s a treat to hop in the car put the key in, hit the memory 1 button and have the seat, mirrors and steering column adjust to your settings. Your true love can be assigned M2. You never have to reset everything between you and her.

I lost the full effect for two reasons. 1, I’m the only driver. 2. I always have the seat all the way back, so the seat doesn’t move back when I shut the car off and move forward when I start up.

The XJ6/X300 I had, had the memory tied in with the key fob, so when it detected key fob 1, it adjusted everything to those settings on start-up and the same for key fob 2. The XK8 doesn’t have that feature.

So I when I went to look at the car, the PO told me that the previous previous owner had a lot more parts including a spare engine from a parts car, but he didn’t have the room so he didn’t take a good bit of the stuff including the engine. Well wednesday I got a call that the guy i bought it from had gotten butt dialed by the former owner! They started talking and he asked if the guy I bought it from wanted the parts now or not. He told him that he had sold it but that i might be interested! Long story short, I went today and picked up lots more parts including a nice set of factory alloys, and a complete engine. The parts car it came from had 80k miles on it, but it was a factory replacement engine! Not sure how many miles the car had on it when swapped, but it is to have the steel cylinders! I may never use it, but you never know! All for the price of fuel to get there! Woooooo hooooooo! He said he had two straight front fenders, but got tired of tripping over them so he sent them to the scrap yard! Ugh!