Looking for photos of Euro SII - Front of radiator, above bumper

Hello folks,

I am doing some modifications to my US specs (with A/C) XJC (SII):

• Euro chrome bumpers,
  • SIII oil cooler.

I believe I have all the parts, but it is unclear how the oil cooler will fit, in front of the main radiator + A/C radiator, between the two Euro bonnet/hood hinges.

On the US specs SII/SIII setup, there is a flat(ish) bar bolted between the two hinges. On the SIII, that bar supports the oil cooler.

On the Euro SII hinges, I do not see brackets to hold such a bar.

I would love to see photos of the front of the radiator, without the bonnet and without the chrome bumper blade of a Euro SII.

Anyone? Thank you.

(Below is a photo of the original US specs XJC setup, showing the flat-ish bar bolted across the 2 hood hinges).

Hi,

Engine rebuild on mine (#2J50041DN) was made in 2008-2009, I’ll try to find some pics. (When the bonnet was off)

Cheers!

1 Like

Today was momentous and … revealing of more issues.

Summary of previous episodes:

• US specs XJ6C (so obviously Series 2)
  • Fitted Euro bumper bracket & hinges
  • Fitted a SIII oil cooling radiator with homemade brackets, as best as I could approximate; Left enough room (not one whisker to spare) between the oil cooloing radiator and the radiator to eventually fit the OEM A/C condenser.
  • Fitted a much thiner and lighter SIII radiator with an electric fan, the back of which sits 1.5 inches in front of the water pump.

Today I trial fitted the hood/bonnet and…

1- It is clearly way too far forward, demonstrated by the gap in the channel at the bottom of the windscreen. (see photo).
2- But the inner side of the bottom of the hood/bonnet already fouls the pipes of oil radiator. (see photo)

The “obvious” solution seems to be:
A- Move both Euro bracket assemblies backwards by 1/2 inch thanks to the oval slots in the “chassis” to get the hood/bonnet to fit in the rear channel.
B- Move the oil cooler radiator by 1/2+ inch so it stays stay away from the hood/bonnet and therefore also move the radiator itself by 1/2+ an inch…

Step A seems unavoidable, but I wonder if B is necessary: I wonder if the oil cooler should not “simply” be fitted (a lot) lower so the pipes clear the bottom of the hood/bonnet.

It would help me to see photos of the OEM SIII set up, with no front grill on. Anyone?

Thank you.

I found this photo on the forum here. It points to the oil cooler pipes staying behind the hood, not below. Hmmm…

Here is another picture of my set-up showing the pipe touching the hood/bonnet when the atter is closed.
After I will have moved the hood back theat pipe will really be pushed back.
If I just move the oil cooler backwards (which I probably do temporarily), there will be no room for the AC condenser.

l

Euro hinge I fitted. Hmm, there is no way to shift them backwards…

To be clear your cooler lines are fouling the bonnet so it’s not closing all the way? Did you move the radiator back as far as possible?
I posted some pictures for someone - maybe you - some time ago, do those help a little?

I think the two issues are separate. The one I need to solve first is why is the bonnet too far forward and how do I shift it backwards.

I am now away from the car for 3 weeks, so cannot fiddle or update this post with new info.

On the SIII V12 the hoses for the oil cooler come from the sides, I guess the six must have a similar configuration? Once the bonnet closes there is no space available for anything. You have to re-route your pipes.

On the photo bellow you can see the long and thin oil cooler, it’s as long as the space between the bumper mounts.

You can also see the elongated holes where the bonnet hinges attach to their brackets (by the factory).
Something like this could solve your bonnet alignment problem.

Thanks, the V12 set-up is very different though.

If you search „ @davidsxj6 #xj photos „ you’ll find something. You will also find that moving the bonnet up a little moves it back as well. Plus what Aristides said but only if you disturbed it.

1 Like

Wes, but the Bonnet and Radiator are the same.
I checked mine today and with the bonnet closed there is something like just 1cm of space between them.
The hoses for the oil cooler must come either from the sides or from down, maybe you can you mount your cooler on its side or upside-down?

Hi Eric & guys,

Here are what I could find from my engine project back in 2008 / 2009.
As mine is an original Euro spec car, sold new in Milan, it has A/C but no oil cooler.

I thought Series 2 XJ6’s didn’t have an oil cooler form the factory unless they were originally police cars or something?

The way I drive I have been advised by a few experts that I should add an oil cooler to my car. (going too fast?)

Cheers!

1 Like

Nice pics, nice car, Pekka,

the horns were country options Italy in the days, weren’t they? No Lucas Windtones sufficient in Milan with all those perky Fiats, Lancias and Alfas around:-) Gotta love it. Unfortunately, times have changed and even Italian drivers buckle up, don’t honk at every red light and even shift gears before red line;-)

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Hi Jochen,

Nope, not original, but I kept the “Maserati horns” and the bigger mirrors and the typically Italian aerial on the roof as part if that car’s history, as I am the only owner so far who is not milanesi. :slight_smile:

It also has the Italian IGM plate needed for registration and MOT back then. We’ve been wondering how on earth the PO’s got it through for over three decades without the side repeaters compulsory in Italy since the mid-fifties?!?

If you take a look, all Italian cars, including very exotic ones have them in the front wings since ca 1957. But we found no holes for them at all and no trace of wiring either. The car did have fog lights at some point (found the wires and mounting points) but I decided not to add them again.

Cheers!

Pekka,

good to learn something new each day … I know the front wing indicator lights on Italian cars, but didn’t know they were compulsory. In Italy they were a bit smaller than the Lucas rectangular things used in the US.

SI and SII sedans seem to have been equipped with wing indicators in Italy - at least the pics I quickly found make it look that way.

grafikgrafik

The coupés may have escaped though: this one has no wing indicators either:

(then again, it has been modified considerably to the owners taste as there is no vinyl roof, but a leaper, Daimler chrome stripe, wire wheels). This more original 1975 car from Rome has the wing indicators as well …
grafik
Guess, it must remain the cat’s mystery.

Best

Jochen

1 Like

Someone on facebook said those cute Italian buttons were from fiat. I like them a lot over the American monstrosities (I know those reflect…) and they are not in the parts catalogue. They were „standard“ though.
Many Italian S1s also had white front indicators instead of amber and those do look sharp!

David,

the white front indicators (just like on the pic of the Fiat 124 above) are specified in the SI parts catalogue for Italy

(just in case you want to search for them)

• so every Italian car should have them like the silver coupé in the last pic; no idea why the other Italian XJs sport amber front indicators.

The “button” style wing indicators are not mentioned in the parts catalogue for SI or II cars; however from SI on the slim tab style indicators used on the blue and black SII cars have been in the parts catalogues for SI and II, with the SII parts catalogue explicitly specifying them for Italy.

Wonderful trivia today and great our cars are so well-documented!

Best

Jochen

I have collected almost all the parts for my Sll bumper conversion including the front marker lights. These are amber+clear like the ones in pictures of Pekka’s car. There is one single filament bulb in each lens.How should these be wired for function? Is the amber turn signal and the white marker?

Tony H

Yes that is how it’s supposed to be. No running lights in Europe, but sidelights white at front red at rear