Looking for wheels

Kirbert,

OK, while that sounds like an accident waiting to happen, with the car up in the air and the wheels spinning and me with the sandpaper…I really just have to get the rest of the clear off, since it’s all yellowed anyways, and I suppose just rattlecan a new coating on? I think I can handle that without killing myself!

Any recommendations for a clear?

Wow, $80 for a set?! I paid more in shipping.

Gordon

I wouldn’t know, I’m no expert on car paint. I know the guys on Engine Power seem to prefer DupliColor, but that might just be because they are a sponsor.

Do the dirt and have them chromed! I’ve cleared my own (on a different vehicle), and had them done professionally. Either way, they chip and peel. If they are nice, chrome them

And chrome peels also especially where the tire bead seals against the rim

Note: I think DupliColor has paints and clear coats specifically formulated for wheels, not just body paint. I dunno if that makes them tougher.

I was right, they do:

https://duplicolor.com/product/wheel-coating

1 Like

I believe “specifically labeled for wheels” would be more accurate. I’m not saying it’s a bad product but it’s just lacquer. For the color coat it’s fine but for the clear coat, a true 2K product is much better. (2K = Urethane Clear Coat mixed with a hardener.) I have no affiliation here. I suggested Spraymax because it comes in a spray can with both parts in the can. You break a vile inside by smacking a tab on the bottom of the can. Any other 2K clear would work as well.

Oh, that’s cool! Never heard of such a thing!

I presume it’s one-time use only. Once you break the vial, you have a coupla hours max to use up the can or just throw away what you haven’t used?

They say 48 hours pot life but I think that would be pushing it.

true it is either 28 or 33