Looking to be new XJS owner

[quote=“gregma, post:15, topic:363999”]

But then that’s when they introduced the Marelli system, and you say that’s a step backwards over the Lucas? If I did buy a Marelli system and replaced all components for preventative measure, sounds like I’d probably be OK? Or is there a conversion?
Too bad about compression check taking that long on a V12.

I think the Lucas is a simpler and more reliable system, with the caveat you read Kirby’s book and overhaul the dizzy if the PO has not done that in the last 5 years.
Changing plugs is a long winded process, but you could later ditch the cruise control, fit a Sanden compressor and replace the OEM coil with a Bosch coil just behind the Sanden.

I can change plugs on the coupe engine shown in about 90 minutes without moving anything else. Does need a couple of special sockets and crowfoot wrenches which are easy to buy. Not game to say it is a pleasure to change those 12 plugs, but much easier than the convertible which is stock standard Lucas engine.

If you go looking for a car make sure the plugs were fitted by the PO using antiseize. If not ask the PO if he or she minds you trying all of them to make sure none seized. Like everybody says, buy the best and not the cheapest. The body must be good and the interior must be at least reasonable. Since you are a DIY person the engine and running gear will be easier to fix up provided it has no major problems.

4 Likes

Beautiful engine!!!

Thanks for all the info guys, I am learning a lot prior to joining the world of jaguar. I’m patient, hope to find her in the next six months.

1 Like

Been looking, so many nice XJS’s…that have been converted to Chevy V8’s!!! Why oh why…what a way to ruin a classic.

I got very lucky. Bought it cheap without seeing it in person. One of the craziest car purchase decisions. When it arrived it was running and driving and looking just fine but a little hot on temp gauge. Changed radiator, replaced all rubber hoses under the hood including fuel injection hoses, did a little tinkering to get things dialed in just right. Almost 10 years later I’m still here. I think after all this time my total investment into the car is still under 4k! If you can evaluate the car in person you can make a much more educated decision. Personally I would feel the exhaust pulses and smoothness of how it runs and skip the compression test given how much time it takes, and having to move the compressor. Good luck finding yours! They are very special and unique, and 100% worth any work you need to do on them.

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/almost-10-years-and-i-still-love-my-xj-s/363445

1 Like

Wow, that is lucky!

I will do the same once I find one - replace radiator, cooling system, all rubber and vacuum hoses, and ignition system parts. Can’t wait to get my hands dirty! :slight_smile:

Yeah, the compression test is a bother on these V12s…I’ve read putting a folded dollar bill over the exhaust pipe can help see the pulses of the engine? (the joke is if it’s a Jaguar, you need a folded $100 bill) I take it each exhaust pipe feeds 6 cylinders only? Also, high rpms while driving can help test. I guess I can at least check the oil and coolant for cross contamination. I can fix most things, except engine overhaul. I would never attempt pulling the head on a V12.

1 Like

What rep do the Hess & Eisenhardt convertibles have? I see a 1987 convertible for sale. Do they need special built tops, or can an OEM top be fitted? Anything else to look out for? Any bad joints? I assume mechanically it’s simply the same as a coupe.

thanks

Double fuel tank system is a nightmare, sadly! Best, JW