Looking to buy my first Jag

One last thing about owning an XJS from the 80s…it’s that terrible “in between” regarding fuel injection and electronic sensors. Early electric fuel injection with not a lot of electronic sensors. So a TON of vacuum regulators and sensors to control things. You’ll want to purchase a LOT of new vacuum hoses to do all your replacements. And the ECU is kinda smart, but not really that smart. So you’ll have to go back to fuel, spark, compression basics to figure things out.

Earlier carb cars are dead simple. 90s cars start having more electrical sensors with less vacuum sensors, and actual ODB codes to help you out, with much more powerful ECUs. So, 80s is the ‘in between’ years.

Warren - I have a 1984 XJ-SC cabriolet for sale. In your price range and condition you desire. With new tires, you could drive it home to Canada. Located near Wichita Kansas, USA. Quite a distance from NS, and not a coupe. 3.6 motor and factory 5 speed. Much fun to drive, and as pointed out in earlier replies easier, to maintain. Phone me at 31six 77six 00six5 for details.

Harry Price

1 Like

My experience with driving these cars have been without modifications an unmolested XJS V12 is a bit of a conundrum because while comfortable to some extent the earlier seats and the later Recaro seats are to freaking short in the bottom cushion. I might add that I find the same to be true on my 94 XJ81 car as well, and mind you, I am not a big guy by any means only 175cm and 79kg, so I have no idea how the rest of you guys cope that are bigger than me.

The other thing that I find frustrating is the foot well. I wear a US 11 shoe and my right foot cannot move around like I would like it to. Getting in the car is a bit of a pain in that regard because again, even as small as I am, I have to crawl in, so I have no idea what in the world you 6 footers are doing.

To me the V12 XJS is not well suited for city driving, and its primarily because the V12 up front is one heavy mutha and it shows it’s weight in tight spaces. This however is in stark contrast to the 4.0, though, because the 4.0 is a lot more nimble and you really feel that difference in city driving.

The XJ81 on the other hand is surprisingly, a lot better in city traffic than the V12 XJS. It may have something to do with the proportions of the car, I dunno.

Both of the V12’s XJ8 and XJS are very good on the open roads up until about 80 mph, and that’s where you start to notice the asthmatic effects of everything that is chocking these cars.

The thing that I find most appealing about the V12 is that turbine like excitement that the engine gives you up until it starts grasping for air, but driving either one of those cars has never failed to put a smile on my face. The feeling of it is forever etched in my memory banks like indelible ink.

With my open air intake and exhaust mods, mine at 80mph is roaring for more! A huge difference.

Regarding comfort, you are right. I’m 6’3", and found out that the XJ-S seems to be built around someone 5’7". I almost didn’t buy one because of that. BUT, there are mods. I was able to move my seat back 1" with some drilling. I removed the huge Pontiac steering wheel and went with a nice smaller one. So my leg room is fine now. I cut the bottom corners off my brake pedal and put on a different brake pad, so now my huge 14 size foot doesn’t interfere with the brake while i’m on the accelerator. For head room, I have to recline my seat one click - still comfortable with about 1" between head and headliner.

Golly… I thought I had issues in Tweety, with 12EEs!

:nerd_face:

What about the seat itself? I don’t find it particularly comfortable at all.

Years ago there was a contributor to this forum, right above Detroit in Canada, some might remember him Rob Wade. Rod fabd up a few full exhaust pipes for his XJS and I consider myself lucky enough to have acquired the first one that he had made for himself. As you might imagine, shipping a full set of welded pipes would present a problem which meant I’d have to pick it up in person. With such a long drive in the dead of winter on a very cold night I arrived at Rob’s house about 1:00 in the morning and we loaded the pipes in the back of my pickup truck. Despite the hour Rob was gracious enough to show me around the car. If I remember correctly Rob had a V8 under the hood, but this wasn’t some ordinary lump, instead it was a work of art that looked like it belonged there. At any rate, he invited me into the cockpit and as I sat inside on the passenger side and he in the drivers seat I’ll never forget the feeling I had sitting in that chair. It was sooooooo, very much better than the XJS chair. He had installed a set of chairs from a Corvette and they were to die for.

I find it strange that I cannot remember hearing anyone ever complaining about the comfortably of these chairs.

This set of Classic C Recaro’s are designated for the 86 5.3 when I eventually get around to it. Of course this type of chair is NOT gonna be a comfortable option for guys that are shall we say of a rounder nature.

Anyone remember the advertisements for the Matador? “Why buy an ordinary car when you could own a Matador?” As though it wasn’t the ugliest POS on the road!

1 Like

Chevy and Ford, and maybe a bit Dodge, seemed to have the best proportions/looks in the late 60s/70s fastback era.

AMC always looked like they chopped a rear design here, chopped a front design there, and ended up with a frankenstein of proportions/looks!

It was like, “let’s take the mustang or camaro, beat it with the ugly stick, and fatten up its rear end”

1 Like

…hey, hey, HEY!!!

I resemble that comment!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Was going to post earlier but I guess I reached my limit for the day being a newbie!

AJ, your points are very valid. To be honest, in terms of my skills and for practicality I would prefer to find a 6 cyl but as I mentioned, they seem to be rarer than the 12’s. I won’t lie though, the thought of owning a V12 does excite me! Part of the challenge would be to figure out the inner workings and full operation of the V12. I certainly won’t rule out getting a 6 if opportunity knocks.

Hi Harry,

That is a beautiful car and looks in great shape, but I have to say that I really have my heart set on a coupe. I like the look of the car with the rear buttresses .

Thank you very much for the offer though! I appreciate it!

Good information Greg! Thanks!

Surprised no one has mentioned, the most dependable and well sorted XJS is the facelift models (1994-1996). I have a 94, and I have never had any of the common problems with earlier cars. The engine is bullet-proof. Again, Jaguar made the last of the series the best correcting some of the earlier problems such as the inboard brakes, overheating and electrical issues.

Richard

2 Likes

NOooooooo. Don’t ever buy one sight unseen.
That never ends well.
I spent a few years as a Jaguar technician and owned two and a half XJS.
They are a constant time sync and money pit, and wonderful to drive.
I spent a bit of time in Peggy’s Cove and also some little island near Truro.
That was many years ago but both paces were magical.

Unless your expectations are really low and you are confident of your skills.

Yeah, but the face lift rear ends look like an 80’s Mercury Cougar!
:wink:

1 Like

Thanks equiprx, Nova Scotia is a little gem. A bit backwards in some places but generally quite nice!

I would assume as long as someone you trust was able to check the car out first, sight unseen would work. I have read that you could hire a garage to check out a car, just wondering how to determine if a garage is reliable?

I do have family in a few cities in Canada that would be able to check out vehicles for me.

Best to look at it yourself, or someone really knowledgeable about the specific make.

Warren,
I skimmed through this thread and didn’t see any mention of the book written by Jag-Lovers member Peter Crespin. Peter has written several buyer’s guides to help others looking to purchase cars. His book “The Essential Buyer’s Guide, Jaguar XJ-S All 6 and 12 Cylinder Models 1975-1996” is easily found on eBay and other sources for about $20 US. It has a red XJ-S convertible on the front.
Peter is a personal friend and although I provided several pictures of our 1990 XJ-S convertible to him for his book, I have no financial interest in sales of his book.

Paul

2 Likes

Thanks for the information Paul! That sounds like a good resource. I’ll check for it!

1 Like