Loss of oil pressure, relief valve poppet trashed

First, I need to thank everyone on this site for all the valued information (too many to list individually).

So I was driving my 53’ 120FHC on the highway and after about 10k of fairly uneventful miles put on a (stock) rebuilt engine I glanced over and saw almost no oil pressure! (Yikes).
Pulled off, shut down, checked oil and it was not down from when I started out (at the bottom mark, I was going to change the oil after the run). limped home (few miles) and had some but low pressure. First I looked at the gauge supply line and it was clear. Then onto the Pressure Relief Valve and as I backed it off heard a decisive spring setting sound. Now look at the images of the condition I found the poppet in??
I know the poppet was “seated” correctly when I had it apart the last time (8k ago). It was the original part (60k on it). It appears to have opened and then spun at a angle to the spring and corkscrew or tap it’s self into the spring as shown.
Pulled the filter housing and tore apart the filter finding no significant metal etc or any damage to the poppet seat.
The car was never really “put up” for the winter but kept on the road when possible.

Should I go buy myself a nice bottle of single malt to make my garage more inviting?

Any thoughts would be of interest on what the next move is. (I ordered a new poppet and spring).
BTW- This was my fathers car, he bought used in 55’ it was driven till 62’ then sat until I started a ridiculous 35 year restoration. Finally got it on the road about 2 years ago. Like I tell people some days I wish he’d given me a watch on his death bed!!!

Thanks to all in advance.

P1050373|475x500

Interestng that there appears to be deep grooves made by the spring,

Clearly the valve should be the other way around!
Look in the manuals and you will see, that the spring should be on the dome side.

thanks for the note!

I put it back the way I found it. Go figure this is the one thing I never compared!

Yep, the poppet goes in the other way.
Is that your dad with the tree on the top?

No it’s me…. He was the forth owner when he got it in 55’ it had a rough life.
Guess I’m keeping up the tradition.
He did use it to haul a completely insane rafting rig from New Orleans to Cleveland in 56’.
He and two friends navigated the Ohio river from Steubenville to the Mississippi and on to New Orleans. He apparently left the 120 there with this homemade tow bar then somehow got back to the Cleveland area.
Setting Sail in four oversized, strapped together canoes they floated down river with visions of Kon Tiki in there heads (I guess).
When my Dad parked it in 62’ the Cleveland winters had already taken their toll. Then his useless son puts the relief valve in backwards……if he could come back I think i’d get kicked pretty hard right now.
Life……