Lower ball joints (Mk2)

I’m replacing the ball joints in my '66 and I have some questions.

I’m using the “Lemforder” sealed ball joints from Moss.

Do I need to remove the “spigot” (#6 in the illustration)? It seems like it may not be needed with the updated ball joint or is it just a very tight fit?

Since I’m using new ball joints, do I need shims (#9 in the figure)? If so, the shop manual refers to “adjusting the ball pin in its sockets”. What exactly am I measuring, clearance to #8? Again, that is self-contained in the new unit, so probably no shims?

Yes, you remove #6 as it’s not needed.

1 Like

The originals were adjusted for wear by the shims, item 9. The replacements are fully sealed like all modern units and are non-adjustable and therefore throwaways when worn.

One of the best upgrades you can make…no more shims…will not miss it…JS

Agreed. Set and forget. You’ll notice, Joe, that there is no grease nipple. It’s a maintenance free item, with it’s only Achilles heel being the rubber boot. If that is punctured in any way, it becomes terminal, and you probably can’t get replacement boots easily or at all.

As an aside, I had an Austin 1800 for nearly 30 years with more than 300,000 miles under it still wearing the same ball joints with zero wear. They were non-greaseable but shim adjustable. I dismantled them only a few times in those decades to renew the grease.

Thanks all. Now, how do I remove these spigot things?!?? I’ve tried pressing them out with 2 sockets and a threaded rod, and chiseling them out. They haven’t moved. I’m afraid to cut them into 2 pieces because I’m not really sure how thick they are.

Are they pressed in from the bottom or top?

Hammer and chisel from the top.

Might need a BFH :slightly_smiling_face: