Lower chain tensioner different from original, be careful

I also found that Toyota used a similar tensioner but with a fatter plunger. I have an old one in the garage, I’ll dig it out and perhaps we can compare measurements.

Few years ago I took my engine apart (resleved in Pa), I found what I hope was the original lower chain tensioner; I said ‘hope’ because I reinstalled it (to avoid at that time were a batch of bad tensioners). Far as I know, block was never apart till I got it; but POs achieved several botched head gasket installs (that quickly failed) because true overheating was due to small holes in coolant head passages between (correctly repaired/welded at CW). As well as new steam holes between 3 and 4 to match block; as early 4.2 Etype lacked head steam holes to mate up to same holes in block-----long story); Not shown in pic as lifting tool covers steam holes.

!

FWIW, my 1970 U20 Datsun engine(2000cc roadster), uses the same tensioner as my 3.4 140 engine EXCEPT that Nissan did not provide a ratcheting device.

Here is the Toyota one. There is a guide plate to limit the plunger travel.

Sorry the pictures arn’t very good. Will have another go later.

Here’s a Toyota tensioner. Wonder if it would do the job.

Bolt spacing does not look correct: true, that early Datsun engines (A10/12/13/14/15, R16, U20, L13/15/16/20) used a compatible one, but likely are no more available than the Rolons.

Anyone know who the manufacture of the original part was? I can’t recall as it’s been buttoned up inside my engine for 18 years. I seem to recall it said made in GB though. Does it cross over to other cars directly? I’ll bet there are still some sitting on shelves somewhere. The question is where though.

Ah okay it is Renold. I missed that. I guess the company moved or got bought by a French company?

I reported an upper chain guide failure here last summer.

after which I had a telephone conversation with the owner, who assured me they would be going to another source.

Do not install those guides.

Nickolas,

Any pics ?

Patrick
'66 FHC

Yup. Check out the link above.

OEM Nismo parts are fairly easy to come by. One of my Cortinas has an L18 transplanted I tI it, and I’ve often found myself feeling pretty jealous of Datsun guys, with how available OEM stuff still is for their cars.

Erica, hope this helps.
After reading the tensioner horror stories, I put mine right back where they came from.

Vladimir

1 Like

When I rebuilt my Rover, I had no choice but to find NOS chain rails, but fortunately had 2 NOS Renolds tensioners, saved for 40 years.

The two —count’em, TWO— new chain rails cost me $200. Had I not been able to find them, I would have taken used ones out of my parts cars.

I found a NOS Renolds (British not French) tensioner on Ebay recently. I asked the seller if he has any left since there seems to be some interest. He replied and said he has just one left but it is missing the alignment plate on the rear which wouldn’t wear out so the old one could be reused. Here’s the user if you want to buy it

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=vintageimportsincforeigncarparts&ftab=AllFeedback&sspagename=STRK%3AME%3AUFS

Hi all, a resurrection of an old post, and hopefully this info will help someone…
I’m getting close to the re-assembly of my 3.8 so have been researching the timing chain tensioners (TCT) and reading some horror stories.
On a post in the MGAGuru website (which use the same TCT) there is an article on the Rolan tensioners MGA Guru article At the bottom the author recommends using a TCT by Renold that comes from a Massey Ferguson. It has a longer shaft so prevents the unit from dropping out into the sump.
I will probably go down this path, and will do a comparison with the original TCT from when I stripped the engine down… I’ll post what I find…

1 Like

I just got these Rolon chains and tensioners, so should I not use them? If not where should i get them from glaad i saw this thread. Thanks much…

Based upon the fairly high failure rate reported, no.

The Renolds ones are available.