Lower chain tensioner different from original, be careful

Ah okay it is Renold. I missed that. I guess the company moved or got bought by a French company?

I reported an upper chain guide failure here last summer.

after which I had a telephone conversation with the owner, who assured me they would be going to another source.

Do not install those guides.

Nickolas,

Any pics ?

Patrick
'66 FHC

Yup. Check out the link above.

OEM Nismo parts are fairly easy to come by. One of my Cortinas has an L18 transplanted I tI it, and Iā€™ve often found myself feeling pretty jealous of Datsun guys, with how available OEM stuff still is for their cars.

Erica, hope this helps.
After reading the tensioner horror stories, I put mine right back where they came from.

Vladimir

1 Like

When I rebuilt my Rover, I had no choice but to find NOS chain rails, but fortunately had 2 NOS Renolds tensioners, saved for 40 years.

The two ā€”countā€™em, TWOā€” new chain rails cost me $200. Had I not been able to find them, I would have taken used ones out of my parts cars.

I found a NOS Renolds (British not French) tensioner on Ebay recently. I asked the seller if he has any left since there seems to be some interest. He replied and said he has just one left but it is missing the alignment plate on the rear which wouldnā€™t wear out so the old one could be reused. Hereā€™s the user if you want to buy it

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=vintageimportsincforeigncarparts&ftab=AllFeedback&sspagename=STRK%3AME%3AUFS

Hi all, a resurrection of an old post, and hopefully this info will help someoneā€¦
Iā€™m getting close to the re-assembly of my 3.8 so have been researching the timing chain tensioners (TCT) and reading some horror stories.
On a post in the MGAGuru website (which use the same TCT) there is an article on the Rolan tensioners MGA Guru article At the bottom the author recommends using a TCT by Renold that comes from a Massey Ferguson. It has a longer shaft so prevents the unit from dropping out into the sump.
I will probably go down this path, and will do a comparison with the original TCT from when I stripped the engine downā€¦ Iā€™ll post what I findā€¦

1 Like

I just got these Rolon chains and tensioners, so should I not use them? If not where should i get them from glaad i saw this thread. Thanks muchā€¦

Based upon the fairly high failure rate reported, no.

The Renolds ones are available.

Thanks Paul, do you know who has them?

I got mine from Terryā€˜s Jaguar. But it was not showing online, you had to call and ask for it. Itā€™s the one they put in there racing engines.

Iā€™d go right to the source.

https://www.renoldjeffrey.com/products/accessories-sprockets/

There are several variants to watch out for with these, even with the Renold. It took me several weeks to find one. You have to find one with a properly bonded shoe. But you also need to find one with the correct oil feed port. Above I was directed to an MG guru in CA who has proper Renoldā€™s with a proper shoe, but after speaking with him, it appeared that it did not have the correct oil feed. It has a flat back with just a very tiny oil port. This is not good IMO.

The original has a pretty large (~ 1/4") hole in the back into which fits a restrictor dowel that reduces it to 1/8". The dowel also fits snugly into the hole in the block so it acts as a locator dowel. The bolts that hold the unit to the block arenā€™t very strong and there is more risk of the unit wandering if it isnā€™t held by that dowel. Plus the oil flow will be reduced because there is no gasket between the tensioner and the block so without the dowel bridging the two parts oil pressure will be lost by squirting out the sides.

Then there are new parts that have the dowel already installed, and also parts that have a properly sized hole for the dowel but donā€™t actually come with the dowel. The one I finally found came in a green Jag box, and had a proper shoe, and a large dowel hole, but no dowel, so I had to drill a big hole in my original part one and push out the dowel and transfer it to the new part. The body had no stamping on it but I suspect it is Renold based upon the shoe bonding.

Before I found this one I had an email exchanges with an Ebay seller who had the Renold tractor part. I confirmed with them that the back of the part had the restrictor dowel. I almost bought that one (it costs about $125). Iā€™d be surprised if the plunger tube on that part is actually longer, honestly. With my new chain (the upgraded seamless chain from SNG) there was just barely enough room to squeeze in the tensioner I bought with the plunger fully inserted. If the tube stuck out farther then there is no way it would have gone in.

Iā€™m not sure which parts seller has the one I bought in the Jag box. I confirmed with SNG that they only have Rolon. Try XKs and Terryā€™s and also the local Jag dealership. I suspect mine might be being marketed by the Jag Heritage Classics parts program because it was a new shiny Jag box not some NOS thing.

2 Likes

I was wandering around SNGā€™s website the other day and a pic popped up of their improved timing chain andā€¦improved tensioner. Is that tensioner still not good?

The $300 one? No idea. I donā€™t know anyone who has installed it. It works completely differently, being hinged rather than being mounted to a piston.

7d752625-4f8e-4d65-b181-5375b26afd8b

$325.

ouch

We had a discussion about it, I think in this thread. if the plastic around the hinge point snaps, itā€™s game over.

Yea: that that hinge is made of plastic?

Not in my engines.