Lower Radiator Hose

I am trying to change the 25 year old coolant on my 1995 4.0. I have read the the posts about the best way to drain the system is to loosen the lower radiator hose. I tried all day yesterday afternoon to get the hose free, no luck. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve

It may be really seized on there Steve. When that happens to me I take a razor blade and score it where it attaches to the radiator. Once it’s weakened enough you will be able to get it free and then have better leverage to pull the end from the engine.
Of course you will need a new lower hose to replace it with.

2 Likes

You can also use a pair of channel locks to try to grab hold at the lower radiator connection and twist back and forth. This has worked numerous times for me, along with cutting a slit as was said above. Just be careful when cutting it, not to put a big gouge in the radiator pipe itself. Some people use soldering irons to melt a slit

1 Like

Got it off. I went to a local radiator shop and they said use a hair dryer to heat it up and they showed me a hose removal tool which for $10 I got ad Advance. Worked very easy. Thanks, Steve

2 Likes

Oh, a new tool to covet. Please share a picture.

To CosmoXL- There are several styles of hose tool that you can buy the one that I got is about 8-10 inches long and looks like a square U on the end and is made by Lisle. Look on Ebay and you will see loads of these both individual or sets. Steve