Lower steering column knuckle joint issue

Mk2 1968 240
Took the lower​​​​​​ steering column off to replace split rubber gaitor. Knocked the small bar out that the nylon bearings are on but noticed that it was damaged at the ends. The tiny groove that the retaining spring sits in was damaged and partly missing. When it’s all together the nylon bearings have nowhere to go and it has been suggested that the spring clips are only there as an aid to assembly. If I can’t get hold of a replacement metal bearing carrier should I assemble without the spring clips?
The damaged part is just where the end of my screwdriver is pointing
Thanks in advance
Ron

As you say, once assembled theres nowhere for the nylon bushes to go, just be careful that there isn’t a lot of play between the bush and the cross. Mine had more than I cared for so I sacrificed a feeler gauge and made some sleeves to reduce the play.

You could run a Hacksaw blade around it , make a shallow groove , make a new clip out of wire , for peace of mind :thinking:

Hi Ian.
Now that’s an idea. Not sure if I’ve got enough clearance though. I wonder if I could get it milled a bit deeper.
Thanks for this

Ron

Just in case you decide to replace the nylon bushes (also known as “spheres”) be mindful that replacements might be too tight. I had to put my new ones on a mandrel in a lathe and carefully bring the to size with abrasive paper. No free play now though! Paul.

Thanks for the tip Paul

Hi Robin. Not quite sure what you mean. Could you elaborate a bit please. Pm if you need. Many thanks

The internal diametre of the nylon bush was lightly worn so there was more play evident than iI was happy with so I cut up a .001” feeler guage to insert between the cross and the bore of the cross, wrapping the shim around the cross bar and then feeding the bush onto the cross. Effectively increasing the cross diametre by .002”