Lower Wishbone Sealed Ball Joint

Back in the day we used SEALED XJ40 lower ball joints which you can still do. MANY companies now make the same unit but supposedly a heavier duty version.
Either way its the way to go, one and done for life!
Good luck
gtjoey1314

Yep sealed units are going in to replace these originals.

Jay

Smart move , If you stick with stock wheels or bigger wheels, the play is all gone…NO SHIMMING.
No greasing, no broken cups with a grease mess.
Good luck
gtjoey1314

I call mine, Dread Red.

:grinning:

Hello Jay,
Careful with the brand you buy through; not all suitable sealed ball joint units are created equal. The following picture is of a reputedly quality (cough) German manufactured component:

Lemforder is the only brand to purchase in my opinion.

Regards,

Bill

1 Like

That is simply criminal. Talk about shoddy QC…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Hello Paul,
Either I’m a shit magnet; if a crappy part exists, I seem to get it, or most After Market parts makers produce rubbish and don’t actually know what QC stands for.

I suppose I should be grateful though; without bad luck, I’d have no luck at all.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Regards,

Bill

Bill is correct, An original xj40 sealed ball joint is a perfect fit, The ones from SNG fit.
I thought there were two versions a standard and heavy duty aftermarket?

Ill look back at the rebuild or call sng, there was one supplier who had a terrible repro.
gtjoey1314

Hmmm, trying to fit the new sealed ball joint up through the bottom but does not look like enough room for the boot to fit through without damaging it. It looks like the boot needs to be removed from the ball joint and reattached after the new ball joint is in place. But it’s a sealed ball joint so that cannot be the case can it ?

These were included in the Front Suspension Rebuild Kit from XKs.

Below are some photos. It looks like upper part of the hole (stepped area) is smaller then the boot with the clip so will not go through. I flipped it and and placed it against the top to see the clearance but it looks the same size.

Jay

Yes remove the boot and re-assemble once its in place. Sealed means you cannot dis-assemble the steel parts.

Removed the boot and now have the ball joint in place. Is there a technique for refitting the boot. I managed to fit one over but it does not look to seat in the ball joint groove properly and still need to refit the spring retainer. Tried for 30 minutes and then had to walk away to count to 10 and try again later.

Jay

I have installed these sealed ball joints on two occasions. Never had to remove the boot, they fit easily.
Glenn

That’s kind of my memory too.

Same here, the Lemforder part was the same size as the upright hole and slipped right through.

These ones will not fit through the opening with the rubber and retaining wire in place. The rubber gets caught on the shoulder as you push it through, even using the bolts to tighten and try and pull it through it gets hung up.
I used the calipers to measure the opening at the shoulder and then matched it to the ball joint with the boot located in the recess.

Jay

That doesn’t look like the Lemforder ones on mine. I think the boot is a bit smaller and more corrugated if memory serves.

Got mine from the west coast. Rubbish and in the bin. Reordered from the east coast. Perfect fit.

They are what was supplied with the XKs Front Suspension Rebuild Kit. They are not Lemforder brand and don’t know what brand they are. I guess I’ll have to call XKs on Monday. Ahhh, so frustrating :rage:.

Jay

Hello Jay,
That’s where I got the rubbish item I Posted the picture of in my previous Post. It was a few years ago now, but shortly after I made a complaint, I was told they had found another source and would replace them. When I inquired as to the country of origin and was told China, I opted for a refund.

Over the years, the only brand I’ve had 100%success with is Lemforder. Do yourself a favor; ditch the ones that you have and buy Lemforder.

Regards,

Bill

1 Like

Yes your correct unless you use original xj40 which slide right in as well
Gtjoey1314