LT1 identity check

That may be why there are so many, “X-Fuelie” Corvettes around.
Phillip

1 Like

Well, lots of stuff going on here.

1. I am far from skilled in computer stuff. But, I continue to amaze myself with two search engines. Pun??? google and Bing. Just go to the bar atop the screen. Pick out key words and then enter. Exploded view of the GM Lt1 engine. I have not done it. so, just an example. Or, open You Tube and do the same. Caveat, some stuff will be not helpful Skim off the cream…

2. The genuine GM Optilite is quite reliable. There are “knock off’s” that are not!!!. Your AAA mechanic may have opted for the latter and may have failed to match the drive correctly… Way the h… off time, it ain’t gonna run!!!

The early versions failed because a failed water pump dripped right on to them. the later is sealed better and has a vacuum purge to remove any moisture that might find it’s way in.

1. Invest a hundred bucks in the factory manual for Brontosaurus. Amazing detail and diagnostic paths. I got mine from GM!!! Used ones might be on the market for less… And might contain notes in the margins. Never mind, the blood, sweat and tears.

2. Aye, adding a four barrell manifold and carb seems feasible, I recall seeing one somewhere in a Corvett of similar vintage. Setting up those ain’t simple.

Loss of the PCM engine management is considerable. The knock sensor only one…

1. Swap ina GM HEI distributor?? Not with out going in tot the engine guts… need a cam with a drive gear for it!! You will recognize the ignition amplifier!! Located atop the cap. heat kills them there as in Jaguars!!

2. The Lt1 is very tunable. Stock in the big cars for torque, Torque moves weight. Either towed or aboard.

Back to the search stuff. Look up the torque and HP values of your LT1… Around 260 and over 300 rated conservativey, say some., as I recall .

Sidebar. The PCM does a lot more. Climate control wheel speed sensor for steering effort. TC lock in and out…Transmission management…

Carl… …