Lubricating the motor which operates the convertible top and back windows in my 1989 XJS

When I purchased my vehicle last summer, the seller had issue with the back windows lowering and raising.
I have tried to find literature but have hit a dead end. From what I understand there is a way to remove a panel in the back which affords access to the motor. Does anyone know where that panel is, or how to gain access to that motor?

If I remember correctly the motor is behind the seats in the storage compartment. There will be a panel on the left under the storage compartment that you can open to gain access to fuses and the motor I believe

Thanks Steve…this is a convertible thus no seats, but I will sniff around the storage compartment to see if there is a motor close by. I don’t believe this motor has been lubricated in many years and before the summer hits, I would like to lubricate whatever is available to bring down the top and allow the windows to work much smoother than they do. Last year when he retracted the top, we had a heck of a time getting the windows back up again.

Sorry behind the front seats, inside the storage compartment on the right side should be a plastic panel/cover that you can remove with a flat head and single fastener

Caveat: I have zero experience with this car or that assembly. So, this idea is generic.

Once you uncover the motor and the gear that raises and lowers the glass, it is more likely that the gear needs cleaning and lubing more than the motor.

The motor is likely to have a sealed for life bearing !
In decades past such motor’ lives could be extended. Drill a tiny hole in the cap that covers it. Squirt in some 3 in 1 or similar light oil . If the motor is not too far gone, it might free it and return it to service.

Or, remove it. take it apart. clean it up. Lube it.

I applied that to an electric can opener. It worked twice. Gone now, the third effort failed…

Or better yet, Remove and clean the operating switch!!! Jaguar switches like that!!

Carl

Rick,
There are actually three separate electric motors involved, each of the two rear windows has a motor to raise and lower it, and there is the electric motor that drives the hydraulic pump to raise or lower the top. These components are located behind the rear interior side panels and beneath the rear storage compartment.

As far as literature about this, the XJ-S Repair Operations Manual (ROM) has a lot of information about how to operate and repair these convertible components. If you don’t have a copy yet, you really should get one. The XJ-S Drivers Handbook also has good information if you have one of those. Plus the Jag-Lovers archives has a wealth of information on convertible top and rear windows problems. Just search the archives for “rear windows” and you will find what others have done to fix their rear window issues. I bypassed the automatic operation of rear windows and added two new switches to control them independently of the top. I posted pictures and the details of how I did this in my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible on Jag-Lovers about 10 years ago and I post about that modification regularly when convertible rear window problems come up .

Paul

Enclosed is a picture of what I have found. On the right hand side is a vessel filled with some sort of oil. It has a min/max level and the oil is at the halfway mark between min/max. I know nothing more of what it is and what it does. I would like to know more and what kind of oil is going through the tubes.

Hello Paul.
I have not been to the archives as I don’t know how to get there. Please advise as I am sure it would be a useful tool.

Rick,

Here are the steps to learn about how to use the Jag-Lovers archive search function.

1. Go to: Jag-Lovers.com

2. Select “Forums Top”

3. Scroll down until you find “User Guides and How-Tos” and select it. It is the section with a light bulb icon.

4. Scroll down until you find “How do I : Use the Search Function”, select it and read it.

While you are there you should look at the other helpful information about how to use the Jag-Lovers website.

Paul

Will do and thank you.

Rick

I am going to wait for a nice day weatherize as we still have some snow around, and take my time on both sides and see if I can loosen them up. The previous owner did not do maintenance and it might be a case of plain old non use. I have not had the top down yet and I am hoping the lack of use contributes to the issue.

Rick

I have just gotten done working on this entire system. If your top is not working either it’s a lot easy to work back there with the chubby removed. Couple of screws and the whole thing comes out. The trim pieces covering the window motors need to be removed. Here is were the fun begins, from the outside of the car looking at the rear trim piece you will see a silver color snap head/ screw between the rear glass and the trim, that screw needs to come out and if your rear windows are not working it’s almost impossible to get at. There are two more same type screws inside the door jam holding that trim piece on. I still have mine tore apart I will post some pic for you

Good morning.
The man who owned my Jaguar previously did not use the convertible often and I think it is more or less a case of non use rather than abuse. I am hoping to use the pictures sent by Paul Novak to take away the sides and reveal the working parts. From there I need to access the damage or neglect and go from there although your pictures would help.

Thanks in advance,

Rick