Lucas Distributor Cap

Got the new $100 oem black Lucas cap. Save your money, it is identical to the $50 aftermarket black lucas cap, except that i got a nice box with a Jaguar oem sticker, and nice wrapping paper that says Lucas on it. Oh, and the gasket is thrown in. (My aftermarket didnt come with gasket)

1 Like

Same thing with the Jaguar-packaged TPS. The red one. Exact same part as sold by the usual suppliers as a brand-x aftermarket replacement. Except the Jaguar-packaged part is $75 more.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

It’s the fact that fumes tend to rise, so extracting air from the top makes more sense.

That’s a bummer Greg…

The original green cap:

I’ll give you 50 bucks for it? :wink:

1 Like

Yep, me too!

It’s a reflexive habit for me to check the operation and existence of the center carbon brush.

Yep: the fabled, but very real, ‘reverse Universe,’ home of old razor blades, and missing left socks.

And all those 10 mm sockets we’ve paid for…:persevere:

1 Like

Otherwise, the black Lucas cap seems like decent quality, and I would guess the best we can get brand new. It’s a shame that the plastic can only handle about 3 years/9000 miles of heat (from the rotor sparks?). So $50 every three years, until I can find a NOS or Used cap like yours or John John’s.

One nice thing the new black caps have that the blue one didn’t, the vents have these hard plastic rings that tightly fit and keep the tubes from moving. They work pretty well, I’ve removed/reinstalled vacuum lines several times without vent lines falling in. With cap off, it’s very easy to push the ring a bit to make sure it’s still tight. I could easily transfer these to an older original cap if need be.

I replaced my original green cap some years ago, but still have it, just in case.I am not home just yet so I can’t check for myself, but are the segments in the green OE cap brass or aluminum? Thanks.

Very long time since I looked inside the cap so I can’t recall, but I removed a spark plug cable and the socket is aluminium, so I guess the inside must be the same.

NO !!! Added 1required twenty characters. 12345678910111213141516171819 20!!!

Plastic is most important thing. I’ll bet the originals were bakelite? All that “lightening” going 12 times a revolution. Thats 50% more sparks than a V8. So the plastic gets cooked.

77 XJ6C S2 4.2 The big difference I noticed in every replacement Lucas DDB113 “Style” cap is the carbon center electrode. The old ones are much longer. The new ones are a 1/4 inch piece attached to what looks like a ball point pen spring. Falls out of position very easily.