LUCAS Electric Fan Motor Refurbishment in USA

Greetings:
Is there a reputable electric shop here in the USA that can rebuild the LUCAS electric fan motors? I have three of them in need of bearing replacement, most likely, that I have changed out over the last 18 years. I just swapped out the third one this past weekend with a new unit from SNG Barrett that I had in spares.Of course the new units do not have the Lucas embossed end caps.
Thank you in advanced for your consideration of this inquiry.

Chris

Radiator fan or A/C blower?

You may have to do some searching to find a small shop with LUCAS experience.

I was lucking to find an older gentlemen running a one-man shop… When I walked in with my defective alternator in my arms he said “Ah, a LUCAS!”.

I subsequently had him rebuild my rad fan motor, heater motor and washer pump. It was much cheaper than taking the chance on a modern replacement

Bob

I think there’s one in Denver: let me know, and I’ll ask them.

Many towns have a shop specializing in alternator and starter rebuilding. I have to wonder if at least some also rebuild electric motors. Pretty much the same stuff is involved.

Years ago I walked into my favorite rebuild shop carrying a Ferrari starter and from ten feet away the fellow said “Ah, Magnetti Marelli. Haven’t seen one in years”.

But he thought I was working on a tractor, not a Ferrari :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

1 Like

…that woulda been a Lamborghini…:grimacing:

2 Likes

As well as the famous Lamborghini tractors, my recollection from a visit to Ferrari factory in the 1980s is that Fiat also produced tractors in Maranello on parts of the assembly lines. Fiatagri was headquartered in Modena. My impression is the image of the tractors on the same assembly line as the Ferraris was not a story Fiat wished to circulate broadly at that time.

2 Likes

I thought the bushings were unobtainable.

Contact Jerry Felper 714-348-8689 He used to do the rebuilds for XKU…EE with lots of British car experience…in Anaheim Calif

I’ve used Jerry for years, but I dropped home a line about a week and a half ago about a starter rebuild, and got no response.

Do you know if he’s still taking on work?

Not sure if this would help, but there is a website called mgaguru.com. This guy is great and really goes in-depth on the engineering side. I rebuilt my wiper wiper motor sin bushings using his website. I would bet he has a source somewhere on his website. It’s amazing how many electrical things cross between the almighty jaguar and the lowly mg. I guess it’s worse for the Aston guys cross referencing parts with an mg.

Don’t MGs have belt driven cooling fans?

Not the late model MGBs…They had twin electric fans

1 Like

MGs are only “lowly” with a certain perspective. They are more comfortable, practical, and reliable than an E-type could ever hope to be.

The panel gaps on some unrestored E-types are pretty wonky, and it took about 8 lbs of lead to get there. I’ve owned unrestored Mk1 MGBs whose panel fit would rival just about any car of the era, with just the smallest amount of lead to cover a few lap joints.

On the 1989 Pirelli Marathon, Malcolm Gammons finished 2nd on the brutal Stelvio Pass special stage, beating all the Porsches, Cobras, and Big Healeys. The only car that beat him?..a fully race-prepped E-type with some guy named Bobby Unser at the wheel. Never heard of him, but I hear he’s pretty good at driving up the sides of mountains…

1 Like

…runs in the family…:wink:

Agreed, wrt the B: really a delightful, fun-to-drive, and as reliable as an E Type, maybe more.

It’s really the only LBC I still would consider owning, even a rubber baby buggy bumper one: a set of intake/exhausts off a pre-75, and a set of HS4s ( or even a 32/36 DGV) makes them run every bit as good as the chrome bumper ones.

He was OK 6 months ago…

It might help if you gave us your location. I have had similar experiences of rebuilders recognizing Lucas parts in person like noted by others in previous responses here to your inquiry. In my case in two shops in the city of Chicago. These are places that work local customers and probably don’t care to ship.

1 Like