Luggage Board Rails

If possible, would someone please post detailed photos of your luggage board rails, so I can see how they’re put together?

Thank you
Carlo

Check through Bill McKenna’s excellent site!

http://www.mckennasgarage.com/xke/

1 Like

Thanks, Paul. I’ll do that now.

I’m not sure what you’re looking for, but here are some photos of how I attached the strips to the hardura. As you can see in the photos, I used plastic “Christmas tree” fasteners instead of the original metal rivets. I laid out the metal strips in the desired grid, and fastened with tape. Then drilled the holes through the hardura using the holes in the strips as a template. A Dremel rasp/ball bit works well with fabric. The plastic fasteners push through the fabric from the back side and then through the holes in the metal strip/rail where the flutes from the fastener grip the metal rail. A very few had to be melted/flattened over the hole with a wood burning tool, but most gripped very well. Stick-up of the shaft has to be minimal and centered as the stub of the plastic “rivet” has to fit within the groove in the rubber. The last step is to carve the new rubber strips to a point on the ends and insert in the metal rails. The short strips on the flip up panel behind the seats are attached with screws.

(If your question is regarding the chrome hardware on the flip-up board, I’d have to do a search of an old computer for photos).

i.

1 Like

Thanks, Eric - great write up and photos. Most helpful.

Does this help? It’s of my old 2+2

1 Like

Yes, very much. Thank you, John.

1 Like

What a disappointment. Slogging through all those pages of his endless amount of work and dedication to the project and then no BIG FINISH pictures!

I know it isn’t “original”, but I looked at old fashioned body side moldings like we had contractors install on early 70’s Chevies. They are Aluminum channels and have rubber insert and can be fit with pointed or blunt ends. This would maybe leave unsuitable witness marks when eventually replaced with correct items - but they may not leave marks as the width looks close. Currently we have no rub strips, but otherwise somewhat correct Jon Skinner panels. The original stuff is so, so expensive - even for valuable and otherwise correct cars. If it was reversible it may be an option. I have some original runners from the cubby lid, but like many on our old cars, they are quite ugly as they don’t hold up well.