Luggage Rack from 62

I have removed the luggage rack from the boot lid on my 62 roadster and will not be putting it back on. Any interest out there for it?

Perhaps, have a photo ?

Marco

Look like the very popular Amco rack. All my friends have one:

At least it appears you still have the correct washers (match the slant of the boot).

Where was the luggage in that photo? One driver had a break-down (Jensen Healey) and rented an SUV so he became the designated suitcase hauler.

2 Likes

Wow, those babies are “Yuge”.

LLoyd

“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it’s about the future.”

Physicist Niels Bohr

Hi there,
currently I am looking for a luggage rack. The ones I found are rather small, these amco racks are bigger, and look more … aesthetic (you know what I mean :wink:

I also came accross these bags that you just stap to the boot lid (ref. ebay)

How do you attach the amco rack to the lid?
Do you have a model name? I don’t think it makes sense sending it to Europe…

Best
Dan

That rack bolts to the boot lid. Each leg is threaded so 4 holes in the lid and bolt fitted from the inside.

I balked at taking a drill to mine so I bought a second boot lid - I was fortunate enough to fine one for sale with the rack already in place. I had the spare lid painted at the same time the car was painted. About half the year it hangs on the wall then when the season for long trips comes around (September) it swaps places with the original lid:

Here you can see one of the brackets used for hanging and also one of the bolts that secure the rack:

It only takes my wife and I a couple of minutes to do the exchange and have the installed lid aligned.

With a suitcase on there the lid will no longer stay open (even with an extra spring added to each hinge). One way to hold it up is a simple wood prop:

As a result of posting the above photo a couple of years ago, I got a suggestion from someone here on J-L to add a support to that parts n=box you see. Now I have a set of barrel bolts on each side - a much more elegant system I think:

1 Like

Wow that’s pretty ingenious! Thank you for the info!
I really like the size of the rack!