Lump, Chunk or piece of junk?

There are also two different housings for the FHC, early and late.

As requested:

Rod

2 Likes

If you pine for the sump’o flowers, I’ve got an old XJ6 pan to replace it with…:joy:

Paranoid Paulie: ya might wanna blur yer license plates…

Especially since the car on the left is a scofflaw, no front license!!!

1 Like

Here’s what might be a good deal on an engine and triple su setup. And what appears to be a nice head.
It’s on the wrong side of the country, but strapped to a pallet and shipped it might be worth it…

1 Like

YES… For “them what knows” it is a classy, classic planter.

LLoyd

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

If that has the E Type pan/pump tubes/bracketry, plus the carbs and what may be a decent head, that’d be worth it.

The westbound BRG OTS was headed to Sequim cars and coffee the 2nd Sat. AM monthly. He had it restored in Olympia, I think, and has had it for sale at a bit over 100K in Hemmings from time to time. I did speak with him there on Saturday as did I with the other E OTS owner there–grey and black top/interior. The PNW Healy club also had a show there, so lots of those to see, including from Oregon and BC.

1 Like

Thanks. May also look at the Jag club in Victoria.

Where to start? I’m trying to figure out how to properly post here. I don’t want to violate the rules (cut down on multiple posts) but I want to answer each response more or less personally. Anyway I’ll try to answer everyone’s new posts here. If I miss one my apologies.

Wiggles I PM’d about the manifolds Thank you.

Rod Fisher …Same as above concerning the sump. This will be put to good use and fits in with the “I repair the part” concept.

On all this free/good deal stuff should I not use it (for instance the sump-say I get a actual E engine with one already on it) I will contact you to return (I’ll pay return shipping) it even if repaired or if I can’t get it to you I will forward it to a person who needs it for shipping. I won’t sell it on ebay for the 2 K it’s really worth. I can’t say what happens in my estate sale but I’ll try and protect these parts. I’m sure GTjoey doesn’t want the gift rack sold for a 400$ profit or Rod the sump sold for 2K! Once the car is together then that changes I guess. The parts are a part of the whole and if sold I guess we all get the satisfaction of another E returned to the road. Anyway I just wanted to clarify how they would be handled.

Tail Light: Sorry about the picture. `

Notice the slight gap near the left end. They are wrong but no corrosion at all so at least for now I’ll have to leave them on the car. I paid 140 on ebay for the pair.

Neat about the cars here on the Peninsula. This area is a good destination for tourist things. If anyone wants a brief tour (Coffee at the Goose included) of the Lockheed Electra (1936 model 12) we have in the shop I have done some of the work on, get a hold of me. Lotsa WW2 history on it. Read about Sidney Cotton and his spying/picture taking of Nazi installations before the war. That said we all will be happy to see the beast go! Working on ladders is no fun! Jefferson County Airport has a Museum open Tuesday thru Saturday and worth doing. I think it’s $10 for adults. Probably an hour or two activity.

Current work for me is tearing down a customers Continental O-470 and sending the parts off for NDT. Finished that Friday. When the parts return I will finish the rebuild. This week no work so honey doo’s and “E” stuff.

I stopped at my friends hanger yesterday to see what he was doing on his OTS and as I walked in he pointed to a stack of wire wheels and said they were mine! He also threw in a rebuildable brake master cylinder for the same price. I insisted on doing something so we settled on $100 and some libation I am still to get. I couldn’t talk him into a higher price :slight_smile: so the deal was struck. I still need everything between the wheels and the frame on the front and between the wheels and the body (ie IRS and cage(?) at the back.

1 Like

I have been watching that engine and if it belonged to one of you on here then that would be a good deal but not being able to really know what I would be getting is somewhere I don’t want to go right now. I would probably buy an ebay “E” IRS if it was under 1K and just figure I would deal with whatever I get. Any CL or ebay freight items I’m probably going to want to “visit” before buying. A local or a JL classifieds IRS/engine/gearbox is worth more than an ebay unit to me. Even if guaranteed these large items are not really returnable. Being able to trust people on larger items is important. I think I would trust any regular posters on JL on their word.

1 Like

Understandable, here’s a suggestion. See if a list member lives nearby and could go check it out. The combination of the rebuilt head and triple carb set may be worth $4000 alone…

I actually thought about that but didn’t want to ask. I guess I would be willing to do that for someone else so if anyone is nearby?
I don’t think anyone should drop everything and drive even 30 miles to check it out. I am not sure I could do that for someone else with my own schedule. But if within 30 miles and I was going that basic direction I could arrange it for someone else. Then there is the logistics of shipping. Pretty tough if I can’t drive my truck to the engine/IRS. All that said if was in the Seattle area I would gladly pay that for carbs, e engine, etc. That all looks like it would fill a lot of space between the engine mounts.

My advice is to ask. Remember you’re not asking anyone to “drop everything”. You’re saying if they have the time and inclination you’d really appreciate it. I’m sure some would literally LOVE to go check out some E type stuff. Part of the joy of these cars is the “hunt” and those members who are past that phase on their own cars might actually miss it. Create a new listing, titled something like “Anyone interested checking out something north of Tampa FL?” Or similar. Worse thing that happens is that it doesn’t work for anyone.

Ask.

I guarantee ya, you’ll not ever get a rude answer!

Any number of will be happy to do what we can, and in my case, all I’d need is the word to go look at a car, within a 100-mile radius of Denver.

1 Like

Good morning anyone reading this!

Yesterday afternoon UPS showed up and handed me a long, heavy box and I knew it was “surprises” Gtjoey told me he was sending to me!

Inside I found these items:
Steering rack with tie rod ends in very good condition
2 ea horns which tested good and make nice sounds
1ea “Me and my E-type” book which was the promised surprise in the purple bag!

When I opened the book the unboxing stopped and I set down and read it from cover to cover non stop. What great stories and beautiful pictures. Thank you so much Joey!

I have been busy the last few days with “new” to me parts and working on decisions concerning this project. I received the two gauges I bought on ebay and cleaned and determined them both to be functional. A cleaning and lube of the speedometer has it working properly with the drill motor input though of course no calibration has been verified. A 9 volt battery applied across the rear tach terminals shows around 6000 rpm and again only function, no calibration. I’ll do that later with a signal generator. The clock was non functional and that I traced to a little spring switch that gets kicked by the balance wheel and drives the solenoid by grounding it when the switch closes momentarily. Unfortunately the spring switch was welded to itself and I could not repair it. I bet this is a common clock problem and I would not know where to get a new spring switch. More about repairing this later. A later post will discuss the “Arduino” which I plan to have operating “behind the scenes” to solve many of these little electrical problems. Another hobby of mine.

The free series 2 wheels I got turned out to have some broken spokes. I am very good at lacing and truing wheels so maybe I’ll deal with that later but in the mean time I polished them up and they will get a set of “garage” tires to move the car around on as the suspension pieces come together.

I contacted a junk yard in Seattle and maybe he can get together the front end suspension pieces as a set with price to be determined. I managed to miss a front torque tube opening bid $10 no reserve that ended with no bidders. Uggh.

The IRS is a major problem as far as I can tell. Nothing available as a group, individual pieces very expensive etc. I worry if I start collecting pieces one will pop up as a unit and I’ll have twice the money into it. Should I bid $400 + shipping on the ebay irs cage that is coming to an end tomorrow and start collecting the parts to build one? Apparently the junkyard has parts from other cars cheap to make up the center section. Where no one wants to ship a whole IRS the pieces seem to be available with shipping available. The E type wish bones and the axles are also available so what should I do?
Decisions decisions but I am concentrating on getting wheels on the car.

1 Like

I see listings on Craigslist all the time, but not sure if they’ll fit an E type. You might want to check there for parts too.

Yes these are available and my understanding is they are the same except for the width. My experience is that things are never as simple as that. The XKE width is 53 1/2" if my memory serves and most of the IRS’s out there for $300 are 60 1/2. I believe the different parts are 2 wish bones, 2 axles and the cage or housing. There may be other differencces and I would appreciate any information anyone has on the subject. I could cut down the last four pieces but I have seen them on ebay so maybe just buy them. The cage on the other hand seems like a part that needs to be “airworthy” and probably not to be cobblefabricated together by cutting a large one down and re welding. I should have posted a “want” ad sooner than today as the auction for the cage is tomorrow so I will have to decide to either piece one together or wait for the mythical unicorn to turn up that someone is willing to ship.

I don’t think they’re particularly rare. As I’ve been scrounging for various parts over the last year a lot of stuff comes up, with crazy price spreads. Since you’re more eager than in a rush, I suggest you wait and just look for bargains. Im guessing the sequence in which you get the parts is, in general, not particularly important.

I see some part that routinely show up on eBay for $100+. Then a nice one shows up for $25. That’s the one I buy. The alloy breather assembly on the front of the head is an example of this.

Patience is your friend

1 Like

I know you are right but enthusiasm can be hard to tame. I have been doing a budget based on a lot of ebay study and I do have to be careful not to wind up upside down. I am having fun but yes it has to be put together using “bargains”. I’ll try to post that current budget soon on the thread. My wife wishes to see it too. It might be interesting for someone else thinking of a large project like this and it allows me to think out loud about the priority’s.

“I see some part that routinely show up on eBay for $100+. Then a nice one shows up for $25.”

That is exactly how I am using ebay so far. It does occupy a lot of time searching on ebay. At the same time I think I probably will have to pay a substantial amount for some things.

1 Like