[Lumps!] Unless I Find A Standard Flathead, My SS1 May GO Lump!

Tucker, of course. Note the car in he background I did recognize the flat OHV six configuraton. Unique in it’s day. but, Lovell beat me to it.

Yes, the flat head fords were good. Amazingly so, inspite of severe limitations in design. Poor intake breathing somewhat relieved by grinding a better path from the valves to the piston head. Relieved was the term. And smoothening and matching the ports in the head to those in the intake manifold,aka "porting’.
If the thing was to go fast, those were gotta be’s.

The exhaust migtated through the coolant chamber. They ran hot. And exhaust only via 3 ports per side. Extraction poor at best.

Nd, amazingly tough, in spite of only three main bearings.

OTH, the Jimmy won it’s spurs in WWII Duece and a half 6x6 trucks. Also in the DUKW version. For the most part, the US forces got the Jimmy’s and the “lessor” Studebaker’s went "lend -lease’, many via Murmansk.

Indeed, the 270 lived on and powered post war GM trucks and busses in the 302 version.

I do recall the engine buyilders of the day wanting more money to bore the blocks and turn the cranks of the Jimmy’s.
Much harder steel than other engines. Hudson’s excluded.

I recall that Horning did some head work on the sixes.

The early 50’s stove bolt six was indeed, dip and dunk. OK if not pushed over 60 mph for any extended time.

The 235 was a much better, but similar 6. Full pressure, tougher. My first company furnished car was a 54, so powered. Going east toward Carlsbad NM, from El Paso, it
could hit an indicated 94 and stay there w/o coming apart!!!

Carl

1 Like

i got a pasal of pix!

Hey shesa hot honey!!

sorry got off topic,

but a small flat 6 comes to mind(worked on many), Christ Craft small speed boats used a flathead inline 6.

i think they were made by Hercules engine co.

now they did have some big ones but they were heavy.

maybe around some old boatyards, many were taken out and Chev V8s put in!

just maybe?

ron

There’s a guy in Switzerland with two axles, an OHV enghine and transmission I believe. Rescued from rotting away in the Eastern Bloc somewhere. I’ll
Pm you.

Ron:
Had to look up Gray Marine. I had a vague recollection that earlier Chris Crafts used those. Right. found a lot of stuff there.

Hercules, oh yes, a suppliet to many including those with marine fittings. Hercules was the supplier. Flat head fours and sixes.
Then a V8, but this was AMC sourced.

Some years ago, my son acquired a well used Chris Craft 25’ cabin cruiser. Leaky!! Restified. Had to fix the Chevrolet v8 twice, before just building another. Much more power and as big a prop that would bit under. Did his own, according to him,. more advanced coolant control. An exchange system in lieu of the use of whatever it was floating on.

Odd, the “transmission” is attached to the front of the engine?
The crank snout not particularly stout. Things have to be just right.

Studebaker built 6x6’s for WWII were Hercules powered.

Carl

1 Like

carl, good one for that small Studebaker Champion flat head 6.

got another old pic from my machine shop, back around 1995!

see if anyone can guess the block in pic(hint the machine its on is for ??)?

darn now i gotta find it!!

boy are we off topic?

you mention after WWII, the waste of NEW surplus stuff.

ther were some pix around of the Navy dumping NEW GMC/Detroit diesel engines in the ocean to make a breakwater barrier reef, hundreds of them some still sprayed with Cosmoline.

there was a local junkyard near me , and thet were selling(under the table), NEW Jeeps without wheels , for $25. dollars each, they had them parked on top of each other,4 high. 1947.

my my ,how times change!

OH, gotta add this one , just back early 1990s, i needed a reverse turning Camshaft for a Detroit 6V53 engine.
so started calling places,(no internet yet), found a surplus place and put a bid in for what they advertised!

new camshaft for 6V53 reverse turn, GREAT won the bid $50.00 US, they said i have to pay shipping,HEY no problem!

truck came to shop, shipping guy said was $300. dollars, WTF!!

A full pallet of 100 new cams, in sealed tubes soaked in rust prevent goo.

never sell any reverse rotation diesel cams, SO, when moving to Texas , scrape yard , 30/40 bucks for the bunch, and off to China for melt down to USA HI quality steel elements, GM dont make NO junk!!!

Ron

Ron:

Skunked. I turned that picture everywhere but loose. Rotated. as depicted, it seems to be on its side. Zoomed for better look.

closest I can get is that it isn’t a ‘block" in the traditional sense, but a crank case. to which a sump and jugs are attached…’

Offy ? no, just doesn’t seem “right”.

But, so far, I’m not alone in being mystified…

Carl

thanx Carl, that is a cylinder block from a 1994 Lambo Diablo V12(not V10). mounted upside down on a TOBIN ARP main bearing line boring machine

if you look close you can see the 6 cylinders of one side, you guessing close , it shows the studs for one for the heads , black corrsion resistent coatings on them!

but lookin closer on top ,you see 14 long black coated studs, which holds a complete ONE piece lower bed plate for the main bearings cap assembly.

pretty fancy shyt, Italian engineering, not German/Audi .

OK identified. terrible pic BTW.

OK it had spun couple main bearings in middle,(low oil and overheated), car owner called Lambo in italy, they said NO<NO< cannot be line bored has to have a new bare block, Yikes! 1995 cost $22,000. US dollars,for block.

well he came to me(only guy in area) asked if possible, lets GO, why not always liked an interesting challenge.

lot of hand work filing and surface grinding the STEEL main assembly to smaller the bores, and finish line boring back to factory size, specs all in ItalianMM,

i also did the comlpete head assmblies(warped from overheat), straightened them and surfaced them, did all seats etc.

owner had a good foreign car shop put it together and install engine, seen him couple yrs ago , said STILL running great.

Ron:

Extremely interesting. My son is quite familiar with Tobin Arp.
An old time maker of fine machine shop equipment. He just bought an older Sunnen. Valve and seat machine. Tom says it is merely a slightly modified and rebadged Tobin Arp. He formerly ran an automotive machine shop. he retired from that venture and entered a somewhat related business. He kept the machines. Addiction, I suspect.

Many of us still live by, "if man made it, man can fix it’. Just
need $'s and skills.

I get the process. In a “conventional” block, it would be grind the main caps. Now, the bores are egg shaped. Bore them, to restore to circular and aligned. But, in this over engineered device, it’s grind 'em all at once!!! A main cap assembly.

Kudos. Amalgation. Tools, will and skills.

I wonder if the owner got to chide the Lambo guy!!!

Carl

1 Like

Greetings Peter,

Definitely worth a shot.

Rear axles are one of two types, difference is the spline number that engages the crown and pinion assembly.

I currently have both a 2.5 and a 3.5 OHV engines with Jaguar logos, not SS logos.

My car is the Standard built frame as opposed to the later SS Tourer with the Rubery Owens frame, hence the reason I want a Flathead.

I thank you for the heads up on this, looking forward to your PM or you can email me at rossw.lovell@yahoo.com

Good Health To You And Yours, Bob Lovell

PM sent with contact email & phone. I can’t find the correspondence with the guy’s name but you’ll cigure that out when you call or email.

Pete

1 Like

Greetings Peter,

Not sure where to look for your PM?

Nothing showed up here, OR maybe I’m looking in the wrong place?

rossw.lovell@yahoo.com …is my email.

Robert William Lovell on FB.

You wrote to me a few times while I had it. I replied to that address which is the one you just gave me. I’ll look for the sent mail.

Pete

I do…owned a couple!

Check out T249362 on the SS data site . OHV engine is at least
made by Standard. The non ENV axle looks “Salisbury”.
Other photos if you need.

Scan_20170929 (2)

Me too.

48 Ford 1/2 ton powered by a flat head V8.
50 Ford 1/2 ton powered by a flat head 6.
57 Ford 1/2 ro powered by a 312 CI T’bird V8.

My son got his first driving lessons in the 57.

Carl

Mercedes-Benz had a flattie four, in the early Pontons…:grin:

MB had flattie sixes also…

THey did, but might not fit do well in the old Jaguar…:yum: