'Machine grey' shade?

Roger
A bit of confusion going on here.
Bonnet support Black
Boot support Grey
Telescopic boot support[I know you don’t have this] probably cad plated or silver ?
Convertible hood frame, on the 150 is grey, not body color, I am not an expert on 140’s so you may want to follow this up with another forum member.

Thanks Morris,
The convertible (DHC) hood frame on an early 140 is definitely body colour - I think Viart says so, but my hood frame still had plenty of its original Carmen Red everywhere, including the wooden elements. I don’t know about the OTS frame - I suspect Machine Grey.

I’m at that stage too, I’ll get some of the Krylon Lt. Machine Grey in and have a look.

Now… can anyone say for sure Krylon rattle-can will stick to epoxy primer? Y’know, the good stuff.

I’m going to take this (inside the OTS recess for the top mechanism) to my auto paint store and have a picture taken of this for color matching.

I can have a quart mixed and even though it’ll cost a bit more than a few rattle cans, it’ll be worth it. I need it for the seats and top frame and in 2K it’ll be a lot harder than rattle can.

I’ll report back in a bit…

Bassett powder coat

I use 2K rattle cans…

new topic started

1 Like

I’ve tested the cans I ordered, and comparing with the remains of paint on my seat frames I think the suggestion of British Standard 381c-631 Light Grey is the correct one. It’s available in 2K aerosols with hardener so that’s what I have used. Screen shade patch attached, but on a computer these are pretty meaningless, I think.

bs-381c-light-grey-631-500x500

From what I can see on internet searches, the ‘Transformer Grey 98432186’ colour only links to Australian sites, with a handful of NZ. It may be available only as a powder, and I don’t want to powder coat these parts.

Roger
Did you decide on which of those two greys was the best match after experimenting?
Just gone through the same process on the horn colour!

Roger,

I still had a one good section with original paint and had a “scan” made. The software came up with the following paint code: See pics below. It;s always difficult to compare colours from photos, but I’m happy with the result. I love the name of the colour: Axminster Carpets Grey: don’t know what it is but at least it sounds British.

Bob K.

I ended up using the BS 381c-631 Light Grey, as above. The scan idea is a good one Bob, but I’ve found on other applications that paints from the fifties can change colour over time, sunlight or not. The fact that 381c is a British Standard shade indicates that it was used commonly as a ‘machine shade’ by British industry back in period, so is very likely to be what Jag used in the factory. With ‘Axminster Carpets Grey’, I think you’ll find the clue is in the name… Axminster are still thriving, but generally working with wool rather than steel! The colour looks fine to me. Don’t forget the boot lid prop needs it too!

Yes Roger, I painted that as well. And don’t forget to use the same paint for Bracket BD.3393 (hinge for boot lid prop) that is completely omitted in the OTS Spare Parts Catalogue,

Bob K.

There have been lengthy threads before on this colour a BS colour available here in powder coating finish.
Know as machinery enamel grey or transformer grey and in my first hobby amateur radio a lot of military equipment radios etc were painted this colour particularly the transformer, capacitor blocks etc.
Don’t forget the springs for seats are also this colour as seats painted after assembly