Machine shops in SoCal XK150 3.4l

My 3.4 L XK-150 has developed a bottom end knock so time has come for me to pull my engine. Last I had to use a machine shop was 20 years ago and the local landscape has certainly changed for this service. I am in Orange county CA and most shops have never seen a XK six and most would rather not. So I am left to wonder if anyone knows of, or can recommend, a machine shop in Orange county Ca or nearby that understands these engines. ….thanks Tony

Anthony,

I’ve used a couple shops over the years, however none recently.

K&A Head Masters in Fullerton did very nice work.

National Crankshaft (now Engine & Performance Warehouse ?) in Anaheim was also very satisfactory. They tanked and honed the blocks, polished the cranks, and balanced the damper/crank/flywheel/clutch of both my MKII and my 150.

However, Trace and his crew at Coventry Cars in San Diego have serviced all my Jags for near 30 years. My parents in OC used to send their XJ6 down to him when it needed service. I also used a machine shop down the street from them, Kenyon Machine, which Trace recommended. If you come up dry in OC, I’d call him and take your engine to whomever he recommends.

Good luck !!

Ed Pink race engines up in the valley. They just finished a D-type engine and know the 3.4 very well.

1 Like

Thanks , fellas, for the recommendations. I will probably consider machining the crank to accept a modern oil seal conversion. I have to say, I hate the idea of altering the existing crank, Jaguar heritage and all that. But I am just fed up blotting my parking spaces and steaming cleaning the underside of the old beast. If there was an XK engine diaper, I would consider that before machining the crank! But I think I am going to go to the dark side on this and install the conversation. Anyone have thoughts on their own experience with these? There are several available on the market . Thoughts on best ‘suited-for- purpose’’?….
Thanks

My block and crank are both at Engine Components and machine in Santa Ana currently getting bored and reground- they have been around forever. They also have the big tanks for dipping etc. There is a backlog a couple weeks long, so be prepared for that.

Is that the outfit on Dyer…run by Mike?

Off Edinger, i think his name is Mike. I remember having work done there in the 80s lol

Also, you have me thinking re rear seal leaking- maybe fashion some sort of metal or abs catcher to bolt on? Could be drained at oil change time? Im gonna see if thats possible.