"made in England" tag

I did not have this tag under my data plate and there are no rivet holes to indicate there has ever been one there.

Did all cars have this?

As far as I know, yes.

Clearly you car is a Chinese fake.

2 Likes

That’s the new owner’s problem…:wink:

Hi, I have a 65 OTS and a 66FHC, both original, the 11k original car does not have any holes drilled and did not have a Made in England tag, the 66 does. Go figure.
Regards,
Allen

One can’t help but wonder - where in the world are the replacement ‘Made in England’ tags made?

4 Likes

Duh! They’d be made of brass with block letters, “MADE IN ENGLAND” stamped on them and then, “Made in China” imprinted on the reverse side.

3 Likes

Allen,
Curious as to what you feel is the value of an original, low mile car like you have vs. a restored car?
I have a just under 20,000 mile original paint/interior 65 coupe. Does have all Eagle redone complete drivetrain, but all else original.
Just never see low mile original type cars and always wonder difference in value vs. restored cars.
Your thoughts?
Thanks,
John

Wow, this thread has really gone off topic. I was interested in the original poster’s inquiry. In my case for a 1970 Series 2, but would like to read actual answers to the question at hand.

My 67 ots has no tag but the holes are there. For what it is worth the body tag behind the license plate is also missing but the holes are there. Both obviously removed during the previous restoration and lost in the sands of time. I would love to know where to get replacements.

I seem to vaguely recall that the MiE plate was in a different location on the newer cars.

Andy,

1970 S2 LHD had the smaller data plate riveted on the near side (left side), right underneath the voltage regulator. The MiE was riveted at same location, a bit further out towards the sill. Front of car is to the left. US dispatch 9/1970 lhd.

Hi,

AFAIK only cars delivered to North America had those, some US customs requirement.

I may have said it before, but I find it amusing Jaguar did it this way, for decades, for all models. Ferrari and Maserati just added the words “Made In Italy” to the numbers plate. Too easy? No extra holes, screws or rivets required. But for Jaguar maybe it was more important they did not need to change anything for home market nor European cars. So my 1S20183 does not have one either (delivered new to Belgium in 1972).

Cheers!

1 Like

My '68, (LHD) originally shipped to a distributor in Germany then purchased by someone in the US military and shipped to the US, has the label.

Since 1930.

The United States (U.S.), marking statute, Section 304, Tariff Act of 1930, as amended (19 U.S.C. 1304) requires that, unless excepted, every article of foreign origin (or its container) imported into the U.S. shall be marked with its country of origin.

Goods that are imported into the U. S. are required to have a country of origin marking, such as; the country of manufacture, production, or growth of any article of foreign origin entering the United States. There are exceptions to this requirement. For instance, for goods that are incapable of being marked (i.e. fruit), it is appropriate to mark the outer container with the country of origin.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/492/~/requirements-for-country-of-origin-marking-on-goods-imported-into-the-u.s.

1 Like

Just a guess, but if the car was sold under a foreign delivery plan with the U. S. being the ultimate destination I’d guess the tag was required.

Mine took a similar route. Did yours also have Strombergs (indicating it was destined for the US all along)?

That’s interesting and explains why my E-Type whose first owner was in France does not have a country of origin plate.

1 Like

Yes, mine did have the stroms on it, and still does, via a set of 45DCOE Webers for many years!

Given how haphazardly these were attached (has anyone ever seen a straight one?), I wonder if it was added by a customs agent on one end or the other rather than on the assembly line.