Maintainance on X350

How long to keep your X350.
We have had our 05 XJ8L for 14 years . Upkeep was reasonable to 100 000 miles .
After that the costs started to mount up .
Now at 149 000 miles , it has needed .
new altenator
2 front struts and compressor.
New transmission
New temp sensor , hoses and housing
Theromstat housing - cracked , replaced .
Just some of the big money items , car always serviced at the Dealer .
Just a heads up for buyers of high mileage X350 cars . Looking for a 2018 or 20019 XJL to replace .
Our rust free 05 is worth nothing of course.
KR.

I’m sorry to read about your woes. I do know that servicing a Jaguar at the dealer is a costly proposition. To rich for me. I’ve been doing all of my servicing; reading through your laundry list, the one that really caught my eye was the transmission.
running through your list, the parts aren’t too expensive

• Alternator roughly $200.00 (which is cheaper than the one in my 02 suburban)
  • air compressor with dryer around $500.00 that’s gotta sting a little the labor is well, lets say involved.
  • front shocks about $100 each (reasonable, about half the price of the shocks in my 02 suburban)
  • Transmission Now this one caught me off guard. I wouldn’t expect this transmission need replacing; unless it wasn’t serviced. The manual and the dealer claim that this isn’t a serviceable item. WRONG.
    the fluid need a changing about every 50k miles. There is a company that makes a dipstick to check the fluid levels. which much to my surprise was deleted from the transmission. Hmmm… my XJR-100 I change the transmission fluid and filter refresh every 45,000 miles.

Just a heads up for buyers of high mileage X350 cars . Looking for a 2018 or 20019 XJL to replace .
Our rust free 05 is worth nothing of course.
Worth nothing? I think many would disagree.

Sorry to read your dissolution in Jaguars

When I bought my X350 8 years ago it had already had a new transmission due to failure of the coolant pipes. I always check these very carefully at service!

Peter,

Had those coolant pipes changed early on . Transmission serviced . The e clutches were completely worn out at 148 000 miles . Have read and I am told the the ZF trans has a life expectancy or approx. 150 000 miles .

KR

Cafcpete
Peter Connell
January 3
When I bought my X350 8 years ago it had already had a new transmission due to failure of the coolant pipes. I always check these very carefully at service!

Mark,
Your prices are all wrong , approx $8000 spent . No complaints , best XJ of 6 we have had . Dealership the only way to go . Corner garages do not have the right equipment for proper servicing in my opinion.
Just mentioned the repairs for those who buy high mileage X350 cars for their now cheap prices thinking they got a bargin !
KR
05 XJ8L
012 XK convertible .

My pricing is not wrong.

The pricing is all from reputable Jaguar sources. Some are not OEM factory replacement parts however the parts ARE of OEM or better quality. The prices just aren’t from Dealer parts department in a green and white box.

What I discovered along time ago that Jaguars, like most other vehicle manufactures are like legos bricks purchased from lego brick makers and relabeled. Then assembled and relabeled again.

For example. The Lucas ignition amplifier on a XJ-S, XJ12 and XJ6 if purchased as a single unit you’ll spend $350 - $500 for the part. However, it has screws which are meant to be unscrewed. In doing so you’ll find a GM (General Motors)
HEI ignition module inside. I’m not kidding. The ignition module has GM stamped right on it. It’s a $50.00 part.

My point of my post is this

1 Like

Mark,

Dream on !

KR

05 XJ8L

012 XK Convertible

MLee Mark Lee (Pay Pal Patron)
January 4
My pricing is not wrong.

The pricing is all from reputable Jaguar sources. Some are not OEM factory replacement parts however the parts ARE of OEM or better quality. The prices just aren’t from Dealer parts department in a green and white box.

What I discovered along time ago that Jaguars, like most other vehicle manufactures are like legos bricks purchased from lego brick makers and relabeled. Then assembled and relabeled again.

For example. The Lucas ignition amplifier on a XJ-S, XJ12 and XJ6 if purchased as a single unit you’ll spend $350 - $500 for the part. However, it has screws which are meant to be unscrewed. In doing so you’ll find a GM (General Motors)
HEI ignition module inside. I’m not kidding. The ignition module has GM stamped right on it. It’s a $50.00 part.

My point of my post is this

Thank you for that. I will :slight_smile:

Your prices sound like X308 not X350? For some reason I thought one of you was talking about suspension compressors the other about AC?

The 150k ZF is about the same for both by the sound of it.

The prices were for air ride suspension for an X350.

Thanks Mark.

Makes me less afraid to consider one in due course.

Pete

I got the pricing from RockAuto.com
SNGBarratt.com is my major go to source for all things Jaguar (and not available via RockAuto or PartsGeek, or buyautoparts.com. buyautoparts.com is a great source for steering racks. :slight_smile:

With parts geek and rockauto you HAVE TO have some familiarity with the vendors. Some part suppliers do provide less than standard parts. Back in the day just before stone and chisel, I worked in a parts house as a teenager. So I do have a heads up on what brands provide quality and other don’t. Bearings
I pretty much keep to Timken & SKF when at all possible. Also some suppliers such as L&S bearings package the lower quality or not completely finished (or what I use to call rejects) bearings from Timken and package the bearings under the own name such as L&S.

Anyway.
over the years; and by having a seriously limited budget; I have figured out where to get the desired quality and still have a buck or two left in my pocket.

Bushes…
These use to be pretty plentiful for Jaguars; especially in the poly market. this is becoming less and less true. I’m working out at chart for poly suspension bushes with the same dimensions as jaguar bushes - but from different applications.

Anyway… Yes, some of the parts for the X3?? cars are reasonable in price but some are not. I needed a tensioner pully for my XJR and was surprised at the cost; but the water pump though a bit spendy, wasn’t jaw droppingly high.

The x300, X308, X350 parts are at least still twice that of the older pre-ford Jags (not always though).
blah blah blah… I’ll stop now.

Cheers!
Mark