Maintenance costs ? S/h purchase X358 100k miles

Hello all,

while the XJC sinks into the slumber of restoration, I am thinking of treating myself to a now incredibly affordable X358.

The depreciation o these has been nothing short of staggering and I can get my hands on 2004 beauty with 100k miles for less than $5k.

Before making the jump, and remembering my grand mother’s advice “cheap to buy, dear to run” I wonder if you could point me to what to expect from life with this automobile.

I would probably use it modestly, for the occasional short commute, pulling a light trailer once a month and a long road trip once a year.

Can I expect to do simple maintenance (oil change and stuff) myself? Should I plan to dish out thousands in service every year from only rare Jaguar magicians with 3 PhDs, etc?

Thank you for your kind guidance.

EF

I see many 358’s with high mileage, they are decent cars. beware of abused or neglected transmissions, the air suspension will trouble at some point (worse when it’s below 30 degrees) and forward control arm bushings are a common problem. You don’t want to be the guy that has to put sway bar bushings in it. Watch for coolant leaks ( worse on normally aspirated cars). Is it a Supercharged car?

Cheers, Jeff

1 Like

Still looking at a few options.
The depreciation on these cars is staggering.