Make the top fit the frame or the frame fit the top...?

I have been through this extensively!! And my problem was not as bad as yours.

First, I would try the “sitting in the sun, slowly stretch” method. But I am almost positive it won’t work. Two reasons for this, the amount of space between the rear of the door glass and the frame, and the pulled loose rear of the top.

I’ve tried several fixes over the years, but finally had to bite the bullet and do it right.

I had to remove the top, adjust the frame until it fit correctly, then reinstall the top. I suspect you will need to purchase a new top. Remember, it should be vinyl with a tan underside.

LLoyd

In order to keep our big corporations prosperous, make the one percenters richer, and give the working class the artificial impression of prosperity, we require a small, controlled war in at least one country at all times.
LLoyd 2006

By any chance does anyone in the Bay Area have a good recommendation for somewhere for me to take this to get looked at?

I have good lead into one in Oakland (Thanks Tom) but hoping to find one nearer to Woodside.

The more I look at this it seems to be a combination of frame and fabric. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to find the frame comes from an MGB and the fabric from a Mazda Miata…

1 Like

This honestly isn’t that hard or mysterious, but it is fiddly and time consuming. It might end up costing more than you’re happy with. If you really think your frame is out of adjustment, the way to diagnose and resolve it is to loosen up the canvas so nothing is acting on the frame. You’d just pry off the front chrome bead, remove the clips holding the front edge of the canvas. It most likely isn’t glued down. Peel it back till you get to the flap that wraps around the bow. That is glued so if you want to try and reuse it be careful unwrapping. Honestly, were it me, I’d just plan on replacing it. They’re only like $3-400. You also may have to loosen up the two webbed straps. It’s possible that this is where most of your problem is. They’re fabric so they might have shrunk also, and they establish the bow spacing. If that spacing is wrong it would prevent the center bow from coming up high enough to allow those rear vertical cantrails to meet the windows. Most of us have done our own tops. It took me 10 hours but it came out perfect and likely would have cost a couple grand or more to pay someone.

1 Like

Yes, I think new top is the way to go.

Wish i’d read the memo about making sure the seat backs are tilted fully forward before putting the top up or down, I managed to scuff mine with the frame.

So mad at myself!

Somehow, that’s better than if it was someone else.
I do feel your pain, though.

…patina! Onwards!