Make your series 3 2+2 A ROADSTER?

I remember this subject coming up, and there were people out there that made this conversion. How about some feed back on this one? I am looking at a 2+2 and wondered about this.

Hi
I did mine 30 years ago, and absolutely no regrets. My wife and I have enjoyed the roadster experience. Roadster motoring is such an involving experience, especially when you get out in the country, even on a freezing cold day, if you are dressed appropriately with the heater going itā€™s fantastic.

Technically you need a new windscreen, boot lid, and hood bows, plus a few chrome finishers. All these parts are available from the usual suppliers. To fit these bits will require some metalwork skills, or a good panel shop.

Stand by for some flack from some fellow posters, particularly the UK mob, who seem to see originality as the only thing that matters.

Cheers
Mark

1 Like

No flak from me - I decided when I was 10 years old I would never own a car that I couldnā€™t put the top down.

Eventually decided to live somewhere where I didnā€™t ever have to put it up.

Alas, no help to the OP other than to offer encouragement and to recommend getting a clear view of the dollar cost of such a conversion.

1 Like

My observationā€¦thereā€™s a lot (read expensive these days) in the conversion. As mentioned youā€™ll need a complete re-work of the windscreen, A-pillars, all the windshield trimā€¦then thereā€™s the biggyā€¦the transformation of the rear sloping metalwork of the 2+2 into the relatively flat are of the roadsterā€¦then thereā€™s the conversion of the, now, boot area. Then youā€™ll need the entire hood and frame assy. After all that youā€™ll very likely need a new paint job. Not sure if youā€™d need some internal structural bits added due to the no-longer stiffness of the coupe panels to do that work. I guess new interior trim but I suppose it might be possible to to re-use the stuff already there.

If you get it done professionally, Iā€™d be very surprised if you didnā€™t spend at least $20 - 30k on it. never done this myself, just judging from what work it would take to do this to my car.

I see no reason not to, but Iā€™d be more inclined to shop for an open car than take on this task. The combination of time and money to do it right may exceed what you can buy an open car for. With the added advantage of instant gratification when you buy an open car

Thanks for all the positive responses, and one would really have to think this one through before taking the plunge. So now, I think the best target for a car would be a Series 3, 2+2 with a blown engine. They are out there, as most will not tackle an engine replacement. Now, we do have the ā€˜lumpsā€™ crowd, and after the initial thrill, they sell very cheap. Take the heart out of a Jaguar, and there is little left.

What are you trying to accomplish by doing a conversion vs buying a convertible? I suspect in the end, cost would be a wash. I donā€™t think a conversion will keep the 2+2 seating, so no advantage there. Just trying to understand.

Best!

Both cars share the same wheelbase. You can consult the Parts Manuals to work out the difference and hence likely cost of the conversion and judge whether all of the parts are readily available.

In some jurisdictions, you will run into problems with registering the vehicle, e.g. historic vehicle status or possibly worse, which may affect second hand price or marketability of the car in future years.

kind regards
Marek

If I recall correctly, there was a company specializing in doing just this. I think that was quite awhile ago, but I had the impression they did a number of them. Someone here should have more info.

And then youā€™d have the additional cost of rebuilding the V12. A few weeks ago I asked a well known Jag engine rebuilder what the current cost was for a rebuild of the 4.2ā€¦his answer was around $12k. I canā€™t imagine the rebuild cost of the V12 but I know others have done this so maybe they can add that info.

Iā€™m with the folks that say ā€œforget itā€ and go find a proper roadster that requires work you can do, which as we are well aware of, is free!!.

1 Like

And if the car has a blown engine, it is likely the rest of the mechanicals are also in poor shape, so add in rebuilding the transmission, rear end, all the suspension parts, and on and on. And such a car will likely have rot too, so add in even more in the bodywork to replace sills, engine frames, etc.

It seems the only way this makes any financial sense is if you already have a S3 that is mechanically excellent and was bought some time ago for a good value, but you really want to make it a convertible. To go out a procure a car for this project and do the extensive bodywork and mechanical rebuilding will at best result in a car that cost double what it is worth, but more likely will be found on eBay being sold as a project in a few years when you run out of patience and money.

Perhaps the jagster has an engine in search of a car:

As appealing as this sounds, I agree it would be a HUGE undertaking. But the real killer would be resale value. At the end of the day, I think a properly restored/maintained roadster would be a far safer investmentā€¦ Just my two centsā€¦

Andrew

My thanks to all, but I do hope you understand how difficult it is to even find a project these days. The prices for some of the worst, rusted junk is outrageous, and the thought of a proper restoration costs to driver status is through the roof. But, with patience, one will turn up, and I remain hopeful.

Iā€™ve always argued one should never buy a car as an investment, buy what you want, do what you want with it and sell it when you want to move on. Buy as an enthusiast, not as an accountant.

That being said, I canā€™t see buying a 2+2 to convert to a convertible as making much sense. You are going to have the initial cost, then add restoration costs, then add conversion costs, then add the hit you will probably take in resale value. Then add in the hassle of trying to get everything to fit and rounding up all the pieces. As a project for the sake of doing a project it might be a fun challenge though.

I agree with those that are against it. I cannot see how it would ever be worth it. To pay someone to do it, I would think would cost more than the difference between a 2+2 and an OTS. And to do it your self, the time would seemingly be enormous. It would probably pay to spend the hours working at a paying job and use that money for the OTS difference. And the resale value would be marginal. And it would always be a conversion.
Tom

I have done a couple of S3 2+2 conversions to roadsters. The basis for the conversions were worn out rusty 2+2ā€™s.

As Marek stated floorpan is the same, the only alteration to the screen posts is to cut them to the required height and weld in threaded blocks to accept the chrome tops.

Rear internal bulkhead stays and is added to with OTS bulkhead, internal and external BPost and back wings and associated OTS panel work is required, boot floor, rear panels and quarter panels are all the same. The cross member for front seats is smaller on the OTS. Door glass and channels are OTSspecific, although it is possible to modify 2+2 door frames, external chromes can all be modified to suit.

An expensive item now is a complete hood frame, quite rare to find.

There is difficulty in U.K. of getting such conversions registered with the DVLA and there are cases of people having the title for the 2+2 withdrawn and not being issued a replacement OTS version.

My take now would be to buy an original.

A couple of before and afters

The last picture was some 30 ish years ago winning a driving event at a JDC event, how time flies

Thank you for your encouragement. I am like that, and am not concerned about ā€˜originalityā€™ or resale value or collectible status. I like the looks of the cars, have owned 4 to date, and am looking for one to fix and drive.

Hello Mark,
Are you still driving the converted E-Type? I have a '67 2+2 that was converted with Bob Bostonā€™s kit in the 90ā€™s, and would like to learn more about some of the other coverted cars.
RG