Making the front bumper look more european, or modern, or streamlined, or something

Having done the bumper shock mod and pushing them in as much as possible certainly helped, but there was something lacking about those big ugly rubber things. Then it hit me- the running lights are recessed so deep it creates an illusion that the bumper is still very ‘thick’ and doesn’t look aerodynamic at all.

I purchased 4 socket head cap screws in 8/32 x 2 inch and cut some 24mm distance tubes from some old fuel pipe I had lying around, and Viola! A much more flushed visual experience on the front end.

Next up is a fill panel for the license plate recess.

Also, this happened today:

3 Likes

Nice job! - With any of these close-ups I’m getting more embarrassed as I never find the time to polish the radiator grille with all of its bars … kudos!

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Indeed. Very nice.

Flush lamps must be worth an extra few kph on the Autobahn!

1 Like

Ouch … so I really got it wrong with my fog lights! They will cost me at least 20 kph;-)

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Now you need to find a pair of seven inch outer headlamps to make the look complete,

1 Like

I wouldn’t like the indicators flush but just realized that it’s a vdp and it fits right in with the flush instruments. Has a late 90s/00s vibe somehow.

Hard to justify the expense as those are actually quad e-code h4 headlights I had leftover from another car project. With a 7" outer I would literally only be gaining a visual change…

I was a bit undecided on the flush vs recessed look, but several car-guy friends concurred that the flush mount looks cleaner and helps with the illusion of having a slimmer bumper. And given that it’s $2.10 worth of screws and 10 minutes of pipe cutting, it was a no-brainer to try it out for a few days. The more I leave it like this, the more I like it.

It’s nice, well done and reversible: I like it. Trust me, the correct headlights look a lot better. That includes the inners. You’re happy with how it is and it’s your car so you can have it any way you like.

“That includes the inners.”

Hold on a minute. I was under the impression that the euro spec cars had 5 3/4 inch H1 highbeams on the inside, like any good quad-light european setup. Am I incorrect?

No you’re right but the real ones are convex without the sharp corner. Less like a pot and more like a lid. Obviously a question of leaving good enough alone but it would be good for another 1-2 mph I bet.

Ahhh! I’ve been using the flat glass ones for so long on all my conversions that I plum forgot about the convex ones. Yeah, it would look smoother with convex, but this is what was ‘on the shelf’ at my house so there it is. Cheers!

Sure enough you can get away with it!
One note, the outers were changed from convex to flat at some time because of the optional wipers.
David

The headlight wipers/washers work well enough on the convex lenses, David - but with exposed position of the set-up makes them prone to electric failures…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Fair enough, but wipers is what was cited as the reason for the change to flat outer headlights where I have it from.

Evey time. I see an XJ6, with the small outer lights, I think of one of these…:grimacing:

1 Like

Nice, but I second the headlight / high beam light remarks…

This is how it looks on a EU car:

1 Like