Mark 2 transmission and driveshaft change

I am changing my '62 Mark 2 from a moss box with long overdrive to an all-synchro with a compact overdrive. It appears I need a driveshaft about 6 inches longer to make up for the difference in the length of the overdrive. The parts book shows a C.12183 propeller shaft for my chassis number and a C.26658 for later numbers, but the plate diagrams show what look like very similar shafts but give no dimensions. Does anyone have experience with this?

No, I can’t be much help but I am very interested! I’m about to trial fit an XJ6 motor along with all synchro box and Type A compact overdrive into my Mk2. Motor and G/B out of different vintage XJ6 stock. The gearbox mounts in particular are very different so it will be very interesting as to how it all lines up. I’ll worry about the prop shaft later. I wonder what you have discovered? Looking at the parts numbers you mention it seems that the C.26658 was a replacement for the C.12183. According to SNG Barrett anyway. if i’ve read it right. Like you, I would expect the prop shaft to be shorter on the compact OD. I’ll let you know how I get on. Cheers Phil.

Consult the S type/420 parts book.
All the items you need are as per.
Peter.

Ken

If you contact Jaguar they may have an original mechanical drawing for the driveshaft you require. It is a good way to get correct dimensions. Send a request with those part numbers. I received a drawing of the driveshaft used in the MK2 with a Borg Warner 35 transmission. Bob

Thank you all for the responses. In fact, I spoke with a very experienced Mark 2 guy, Dean Cusano of Motorcars Inc, who has done this a few times and says the best and simplest solution is to have the driveshaft lengthened and balanced by a competent drive shaft shop, cost about $250.

I might be wrong on this but long ago I seem to recall seeing a “compact” overdrive as fitted to the full synchro gearbox in a post 1965 Mark II which had a long extension. At least is was considerably longer than the OD unit in my 1965 3.8S with full syncho box. Can anyone confirm? Could this have been done to standardize or use an existing propshaft length or to accommodate the mounting to the underfloor cradle?

John, I was told by Brian Donovan that there were all combinations of the longer and compact OD units with the Moss and all-synchro gearboxes. The longer OD with the Moss and the compact with the all-synchro were by far the most common, but there were variations. I guess this was typical of Jag at the end of a production run, as well as Healey, MG, etc., to use up whatever parts they had on hand that would fit…

Correct,
Existing MK11 manual prop and rear mount,
Peter.