Mark 5 Paint colours

Hi All
Does anyone have the modern paint codes for pastel green metallic, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Grant

The quest for pastel green metallic has been long, frustrating and tortuous on the XK forum. Here is an example.

The nearest we have come to a consensus is that a Land Rover color called Richmond Green is really close and also pleasing. Unfortunately when you do a search for it on color libraries you need the year, and I have not been able to find any record of what years that color was offered by Land Rover.

If yours was originally that color, try taking the tires off the wheels and you might find some good undamaged samples inside the rims.

Give Tower Paint a try.

Hi,

The biggest mistake people almost always seem to do is that they use a paint system where there is a thick clear coat on top of the paint. The original cellulose paints wer rather different in that the metallic particles and the pigments were all in the paint. The end result (especially Pastel Blue and Pastel Green) has this quality where direct light makes it look almost like silver and where the light angle is larger it looks more green or blue depenging on the pigments.

Of course one big problem is that the same pigments are NLA and also that colour perception is very individual.

IMO a 1990’s Jaguar/Daimler “micatel” paint called “Jade Green” is close. It was also used on some Land Rover/Range Rovers.
That might be a good starting point to alter the formula to get the desired result. Original sample would be very necessary and to compare is different lighting. I have one spare wheel and one fuel filler lid in original (not for my car, mine was Birch Grey) Pastel Green (metallic).

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 647194
Fin.

Tower Paint doesn’t seem to have any information from the Mark V era, but TCP Global has a color chart.

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1950-Jaguar-pg01.jp g

For some reason the whole link did not work, so click it, then add the g after the jp and click refresh.

You could throw some money at them and see what comes back.

Hi
There is a German manufacturer named Glasurit. Glasurit is very good in classic cars colors.
They have a really good online tool:

http://coloronline.glasurit.com/

I choose the brand “Jaguar” and the Year between 1948 and 1956 and found the requested color there.
Maybe this helps?

Daniel

I tried Glasurit, stumbled around for awhile and managed to get it to come up with a mixing formula for D3107 Pastel Green Metallic, although the original formula number was D3108, and D3107 was Pastel Blue Metallic.
But it would not bring up anything for D3106 Gunmetal Metallic.
Anybody else have any luck with it? What’s the trick?

Hi Rob,
I tried to find Gunmetal Metallic too. But no success. Looks like Glasurit don’t have the correct data for this color.
I wouldn’t give too much value to the DXXXX numbers in the table. Could be an error in the table. A trial coating would surely be better.

Thanks all for your help, I found a small part on the car that had not been painted a awful green and the local paint shop were able to match, the colour looks much better. Now to do the actual painting.

Cheers

Grant

I have also had issues with Glasurit colors. On their site they have a formula for 1948 Jag Lavender Grey which I had a small amount mixed up. It was not even close to the original paint sample I found on the dash under various components i removed. I finally polished up the original paint I found under the wiper motor and had my local paint supplies use there computerized color scanner to determine a formula. I was very very close in color when I did a spray out.

My MKV has also Lavender Grey as the original color. Do you have pictures from your car?
Is it possible to have your local paint shops paint code to compare?
I have also some parts on the car which have the original color.
Would be very interesting.

Regards
Daniel

Daniel,

Here are some photos. I’ve found the color changes with the lighting. The first two photos are in the paint booth (strong fluorescent) right after spraying. The third photo is in the garage (no lights) but the garage door open on a sunny day. The last photo is outside in the un.

It was a computer scanned match with generated a formula of tints to mix. (No paint code). I sprayed in Nason (Dupont’s cheaper line) since it was the only thing available in a single stage urethane. I can give you the formula or do a small shoot panel and send you.

Blue skies and green lights - Jim

Hi Jim

Thank you very much for the pictures!!
Wow, looks fantastic. Of course, always difficult on pictures. But it looks
really good. I think I will go with this color for my MK V too. It’s the
original color anyway. Not another black as usual. My car is currently
black, which I don’t like.
Attached two pictures.
You see, the tool box has still the original color. But the light situation
is bad on this picture and the cover is very scratchy. Hinges are broken,
this is the reason for the tapes.
Would be interesting to have your color code together with the color brand
name to identify it. Will discuss this with my paint shop anyway then.

I still have a lot of work on my car, so it will take some time util I can
spray it. :wink:

Thank you very much.

Kind regards and greetings from Switzerland.
Daniel

Daniel,

I’ll gather the information this weekend when I’m in the garage and send via email.

Jim

Daniel,

Here is the information I promised.

As I stated the paint formula was taken from a scan of the paint and did not match any factory codes. The machine gives a tint formula which I have given you below:

The brand is Nason which is owned by Axalta (formerly Dupont). It is their “Ful-Thane” single stage urethane. The formula is for 1 US gallon and tints are by weight (grams). The tint guide listed on the label was from 7/25/15 and formula as follows:

430-03 H.S. White 973.4

430-07 Ochre 1593.5

430-01 H.S. Black 1676.8

430-08 Red Oxide 1702.4

430-91 Urethane Binder 4150.6

If you need anything more let me know. If your paint store can’t work off this. I can spray out a metal panel and sent to you for them to use with their color scanner.

Green skies and green lights - Jim

Thank you very much, Jim!!

Here is some more old info on paint mixing. I just got these, they are dated 1953. My XK120 is Lavender Grey, and it had not ever been repainted when I acquired it from the original owner in 1986. I purposely never repainted inside of the boot lid, just to help confirm the color match.
I know these old color mixing instructions are outmoded, but they are an indicator. The SS100 I’m working on was originally gunmetal, so I’ve been gathering info on that color. Dave

1 Like

Excellent, Dave, thank you very much for sharing those.
I downloaded them in high res and I will try the Gunmetal formulas with my paint supplier to see what he says about them.
BTW nice exhaust manifold wall art.

Seeing photos of other people’s garages like this just gets me depressed :slight_smile:
All seriousness, that looks like an amazing place to keep and maintain your toys.
Is that a suppression system I see piped in the blue? (Also your smoke detectors still have their dust covers on them)
Jealously yours, Jon.

Good eye. Its

a photo from 6 months ago before the inert gas fire suppression system was approved by the building inspector. Not many residences have fire suppression systems, but the commercial codes aren’t really applicable to residences. I did finally get a sign off.
The blue piping is compressed air, it’s a plastic system sold by Ingersoll Rand and others. The inert gas is in the black steel pipes. This photo shows the red high pressure cylinders that store the inert gas.