Mark IV Distributor Vacuum Advance

A bad condenser is very possible, an internal short could cause cutting out. You can actually use a generic one, and if you need to mount it outside the distributor, it will work fine as long as the circuit connection is the same. Body grounded and small wire on the external connection terminal or even on the coil CB or + side.

No engine number can mean two things;

1. It could be a replacement block ordered from the factory back in the day. They used to have an exchange program, but whether they turned them around with or without a new number, maybe someone else will know.
  2. Someone wanting to hide the fact that it came from a Mark V, and might be looked upon as tainted by a buyer, non-original, which would affect the price.

For that matter, it could have come from a Mark V under the #1 scheme above.

There were a few slight improvements over the years, though on external and internal parts. There was only one change to the block, C.314 to C.314/1 and the nature of this change is obscure, awaiting discovery. Might be the location of the dipstick?
If you really care, we can investigate further.

1 Like

Yes, Rob, I’d definitely like to get to the bottom of it. I am trying to register for the Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) Pilgrim Grand Classic on Cape Cod, in June. They require serial number/chassis number, body number, and engine number. All of the numbers are listed on the car data plate, but so far I have been unable to confirm any of them. Likewise, I cleaned all the paint off the right front frame rail outside looking for a chassis number to no avail. Thanks again for all the help. George

Allan Crouch in his book SS & Jaguar Cars pg 170 says post-war cars had the chassis number stamped on the vertical face of the near side dumb iron. That means the left side chassis rail between the front and rear trunnions (attachment points) of the front spring.

Even after 52 years of owning British cars I still can’t get my head around near side and off side. :upside_down_face: Near side is the side you are near when you get on a motorcycle.

2 Likes