Mark IV engine removal

I would like to take the engine and transmission out of my Mark IV 3.5 liter. Is it possible to get it out in one piece. (engine and trans)? Does anyone have any additonal hints on this process?

Hi Denns,

Having recently done this, but on a MKV, I would say yes, but probably just like on the MKV you would first need to remove the front seats and gearbox cover and then the gearbox top plate together with the shifter mechanism and strikers.

Do you have the factory service manual? I have one for the MKIV but I left it at the summer house.

Cheers!

Hello Pekka,

Thanks for your reply. I do have a service manual for 1946 to 1948. It says to pull the transmission first. I will do some soul searching before I proceed. I do have a good hoist and transmission stand, so it will get out eventually.

Regards,

Dennis

Clearly you need to remove the radiator and take care not to hit the headlamps but the answer is yes, keep the gearbox attached.

Peter

1 Like

Yes, but remove the radiator, headlights, carbs, exhaust manifolds, gearbox top cover, clutch pedal, generator, starter, distributor, dipstick, front mounts. Lay a protective sheet of metal across the wiring on the chassis cross member.
These pix are going back in after repaint.
If I had to do it again I would remove the bonnet clips and spark plugs.

1 Like

Oh man, THOSE are the guest towels!

Those were the guest towels…:yum:

Similar on an SS100. Just get the protruding things out of the way and it comes out as a unit. I had the most struggle with the clutch linkage.

I was told that Jaguar used to keep ‘exchange’ engines and gearboxes ready to be swapped over when a car came in for major overhauls. I assume it was more cost effective and less time consuming to replace both at the same time when the cars were in daily use? This was certainly so on a MKV due to it being necessary to remove both as one unit because the gearbox couldn’t be dropped off the rear of the engine and brought away through the cabin or under the car. I assume that’s why many owners have a car with motors and gearboxes which don’t match the ID Plates. Pekka and I have the S-Series motor from MKIV’s in our cars which is unusual as it was more typical for a MKIV to be fitted with a MKV motor. My MKIV motor in my MKV was rebuilt less than 1’500km ago, so fingers crossed that it will never have to be done in my ownership!

1 Like

Hi,

Exactly, as my car was sold by C. Hornburg in Hollywood (all archives lost in a fire, sadly) I am pretty sure that the engine swap was made there when it was time to overhaul the cylinder head or complete engine.

That is because on my car all other parts seem to match, the body, chassis and gearbox are the original ones, almost all wood parts have “1356” in the back etc. (DH1356) and my engine #SL2199 is from a 1948 LHD MKIV. I don’t have access to the records so I don’t know weather it was a Saloon or a Drophead, and where it was shipped from the factory, but if the main distributor also for that car was Hornburg then I think I could be sure about it.

I haven’t asked that question from the JHT or Allan Crouch who might have those MKIV records. (Which car did engine nr SL2199 belong to and where was it shipped to from the factory back in 1948?)

Cheers!

That’s a very interesting question which I might well ask out of curiosity.

How’s Finland at the moment? I have images of you cooking nice meals in a wood fired oven with the smells filling your home and the heat making it warm - AHHHH sheer bliss! :hugs:

Hi,

That’s how I do it at the cottage (60 years old) where the MKV got stranded 17 months ago in the summer of 2019.

In the city we have double or triple glazing and very good insulation so i am pretty sure we have warm and no draught in our homes, unlike in some parts of Europe where I have visited. :slight_smile: (there is a rather large island that comes to mind)

Yesterday we had some snow, but it melted away right away, now it’s +7°C, I just took a swim (1100 meters) in a (heated) pool in the sea, called “Allas Seapool”.

Cheers!

1 Like

That’s so mean! :grin: When we go to our ski lodge we do much the same. It’s a collective club which has been going for 60+ years as well. Most people don’t think of Australia and alpine areas but we have a lot of alpine area. The season doesn’t last very long (three 1/2 months) but out of snow season it’s cool and clean. In some ways that’s better. I have a dream of driving the 600km trip to the alpine area in the MKV. Time will tell as it can be hot before you get into the cooler alpine areas.

Tim

Hi,

I know you have (like we also have had) some of the Alpine Free Style World Champions, and also our host / hostess in a small hotel (Haus Nenning) where we stayed circa ten times with our family in Lech am Arlberg, Austria spend part of the year in Australia where he has been a ski instructor, and she is an Australian called Marylyn. :slight_smile:

But I have never skied outside Europe, except once in Utah in the mid 1990’s while on a business trip. I have been told Japan can be fantastic for off piste, but for me the Alps are “good enough”. :smiley:

Cheers!

Ps. On the E-type forum some folks might have seen, these, that was March 2012:

1 Like

Hi,

I was fortunate with the weather this year with the MKC DHC.

Mid November in 2016 looked like this in Helsinki. I drove the car ca 40 miles to winter storage.

Cheers!

Ps. And in April 2019, we went skiing with the MKV (I had the skis and boots in the cabin, as a rack can not be. used with the convertible top / hood) although the lift was already closed, we used out off-piste skis and went up with skins. We did this only twice, it was very warm.

Hi Dennis,

And sorry me and Tim sorta drifted off the topic. :slight_smile:

But yes, it is the possible to remove the engine together with the gearbox, and although I thought the gearbox top cover must come off, it looks like it can remain there but it is perhaps best to remove the shifter lever in addition to all of the obvious previously mentioned items (radiator, lamps, etc.)

Cheers!

Pre ‘parabolic’ shaped skis I see. I have kept many skis from previous decades at our ski lodge just to compare what it was like to ski the various shapes. It is very funny to go into a lift queue with skis that are 215cm long. You get some very funny looks which I like. When it’s all said and done there isn’t a lot of difference between them.:sunglasses:

Did it look like this? :grimacing:

Nope, not in Finland,. The hill we were on was perhaps 55m tall. :slight_smile:
But the slopes we do in Austria do look like that, it’s important not to cross tracks! :smiley:

There’s on from my head-cam GoPro2 back in 2016: (my wife behind me)

Madloch, Arlberg

1 Like

Hair flying in the slipstream… PRICELESS!

Helicopter up? Or side step?