Mark IX Sump Capacity

Greetings. Putting the finishing touches on the replacement 3.8 engine for my 1960 Mark IX. The engine has a cast alloy sump which may, or may not be, correct but I like the way it looks. I’m wondering how this would affect the oil capacity. Anyone have any experience with this?
Pat H.

Photo of the sump will inform Pat !
MK 2 / XJ / EType / MK 10 or 120 / MK7 ?
Peter B.

Here is a photo of the sump.

Pat H,

Late MK2 sump, 2.4 / 3.4 or 3.8 so,
oil capacity as per, 11 / 12 pints depending on engine dry or refill, filter etc.
Peter B.
BTW which oil filter head will you use.
If you use a MK 2 head then make sure the small hole of the 4 oil supply / feed holes in the block is plugged.

That’s not much oil. My XK-150 3.4 liter holds 18 pints US or 9 quarts.

Pat H

You don’t need to plug any holes, its just that you will have two returns to the sump, the front large hole and that spout on the sump.
2.4Mk1block
oil filter relief valve

1 Like

Greetings All,

Not sure if original to my car, but my IX came with a steel pan along with a very interesting gutter system mounted externally under the rear seal. There was a line at the bottom of the gutter that brought the oil that leaked from the seal, back to the inside of the case. The gutter was part of the oil pan.

Looked to be factory. I just thought this was done to satisfy those owners that didn’t tolerate this from their car. Sports cars were allowed to leak.

``Pat, I posed the question re oil filter head, do you have the blanking plate,

item 26 shown?
Peter B.

`

Wellll…The car came with an older 3.4 engine of unknown condition. I found a correct 3.8 without oil filter assembly. I need to remove the one on the 3.4 and see what I’ve got. I may just get a spin on filter kit from Bill Bassett. Thanks for the help!
Pat H

Rob , the filter head in your photo, where is the return connection to the sump?
it looks like the early variant .
Peter B

Where it says Relief Valve Spring it connects to Return To Sump.
If the oil pump is putting out more oil than the bearings can take, the Relief Valve Seat opens and the excess is Returned to the Sump.
I believe the concern was that some blocks do not have the Return To Sump hole drilled at all, or it is blocked by a plug. The part 26 would also block it.

Investigate series 2 / 3 XJ spin on filter heads Pat ,might be worth while.
The oil feed pipe connection to the cams can be utilised for the oil pressure
gauge.
Peter B.

Yes I know that where it says

but your post implied to me that the filter head in photo returned oil to both the hole in the block and the sump.connection.
Peter B

My mistake, wrong photo.