Mark V Brake Shoe Steady Post Felt Bush

Time to investigate another obscure part.
On the later Mark V with sliding pivot Girling brakes, there is a felt bush or sleeve over the adjustable steady posts that set the shoes perpendicular to the drum surface.
It is not listed for early Mark V with fixed pivot brakes, and I looked for it in Mark IV and VII parts books and did not find it.
I’m wondering what is the purpose of this felt sleeve? Anti-noise vibration damper? I have two, missing six. Should I substitute something else?
There is also a spring finger that apparently is supposed to rest against the shoe as a damper.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

My Mk VII have them [ posts and felt ] and the MK IV brakes [ and SS, also have a steady post .
The MK IV / SS ones are just what you see is what you get.plain and simple. But the MK VII , I recall as having the felt . My impression is that it had some grease and was intended to stop squeaking as the shoe moved over the post.

But that’s just a wild guess.

You’re right, thanks, Ed.
The Mark VII parts catalogue shows felt bushes on Plate BU, and the Mark VII Service Manual mentions to “Smear the tops of the steady posts, the operating and abutment ends of the new shoes with Girling (white) brake grease.”
I have a tube of this Girling white brake grease, and it is very heavy stuff, probably with a very high melting temperature.
I don’t recall ever seeing felt offered in the shape of a 1/4" ID x 1-1/4" long sleeve, so I’ll look around and see what I can come up with for a grease retainer cup on these posts.
Thanks again,
Rob

Two photos to show the felt on the two posts for Mark V Right Front Brake, later style.

Rob

Engineers felt comes in quite thick sheets

A couple of wad punches for ID and OD . If you can get it 1 1/4’thick , then maybe 2 of 5/8"thick