Mark V Gear Lever

Hello again,

I am wondering if anyone knows why the Mark V gearbox was fitted with two types of gear change levers? The one I have, and is shown on the schematic drawing of the “Moss Box” on page F.10 Plate F.3. of the Service Manual, is straight. However, there is a photograph on Page F.30 of the Service Manual which shows a “cranked” gear change lever which appears to be longer? Is the “cranked” version actually longer than the straight version and if so by how much? It would be quite nice to have a slightly longer gear change lever to make changing gears more manageable. I guess I could have one manufactured but that would be expensive!

Best wishes,

Tim

Hi Tim, the gear levers I have in both straight and bent version are the same length overall, the bent version appears to be the straight version which has been bent. A radio fitted under the dash could guide your choice for avoiding barked knuckles. Few cars have the radio fitted these days so you have basically three choices for gear lever position: straight lever, bent lever forward, bent lever backward. I favor the bent lever forward geometry for my body and seat position. Bent lever backward may have slight edge in style but gets pretty close to seat cushions.

Hi Roger,

Thank you for the message and the helpful information.

What is the overall length of the gear levers you have?

I guess the “cranked” lever was fitted when a radio was fitted, as you say. That makes good sense, thank you.

Best wishes,

Tim

Change-Speed Lever C.1917 is 9 3/8" from end of metal threads to end of metal threads, not including C.2291 Knob on Lever.

Thank you very much for the information, Roger.

All the best,

Tim