Mark V Side Lights with indicators

Hi All,

Just wondering has anyone converted the front mudguard side lights to incorporate indicators? Not sure if this is feasible but any hints would be great.

Also are there any hints on the lighting connector block?

Thanks

Grant

Mark Vs delivered to the USA had turn indicators in the front sidelights, and the taillights as well. We did not get the semifore trafficators.

The bulb socket in the front was for a twin filament bulb.
Mine are corroded and will have to go.
Unfortunately the socket is welded into the lamp pod, so it is not so easy to change.
Here is what I bought for replacing mine.

It accepts an 1157 bulb.

By lighting connector block, I presume you mean the terminal block with 8 slots for 4 bullet ends each slot, mounted on the front wing valence near the steering box?
If you don’t have such a thing, it may have been for USA only.
I couldn’t find it in the parts catalogue.
This is where my front turn indicators get their power.
You should probably take a look at wiring diagram W76422.

The tail lights have two bulbs in each, a twin filament for tail and brake, and a single filament for turn.

I noticed on mine that the turn signal wiring front and rear is separate from the main wiring harness, as if it was added on as an afterthought. I also have wiring running to where the trafficators would have been.

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/1130-torpedo-lights-bulb-holder--pair-/

I see Paul Beck Vintage supplies sells side lamp inserts with twin bulbs, This means that the indicators flash orange rather than white.
They are sold as fitting the separate 1130 side lamps but should presumably be adapted into a MK IV?V pod.

I recently bought some twin filament sockets for pre war P100 headlamps which are entirely different to the post war.
This meanti could have double dipping and had the advantage that the bulbs available had the filaments very close together and avoided the focusing issues with double dipping on post war P100s

Looks like vintagecarparts.co.uk (Paul Beck) has several that would fit the bill.
#CA605D is the lowest price.
#424 comes pretty close to the USA version actually used in Mark V.
424-b
The trick would be to make an insert piece that would hold this unit and clip into the bracket already inside the pod.
Or drill 2 holes through the wing.

I would be quite surprised if the area of the mudguard under the pod doesn’t need replacing anyway.
Perhaps 3 holes. One for the wiring

Hello Grant, for turn signals on the front fenders, you may wish to look at the listings in the Mark V parts catalog and also the wiring diagrams for the the USA RHD and USA LHD at the back of the shop manual. The parts book has a number of the Lucas part numbers and the combinations of bulbs used. The wiring diagrams show many details of what the factory did.

Quote - Also are there any hints on the lighting connector block?

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/6
Hope this helps.

Thanks to all,

I now have a solution…I think

Cheers

Grant

I suspect this is the same as the Paul Beck one.
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/1139/category/81

Peter