Mark V Tool Kit

Hi Again,

Does any one happen to have a list of the tools that were part of the tool kit? I have just re flocked the tray and it looks great and would like to start collecting the correct tools.

Thanks

Grant

See below listing of Tools from the Mark V Spare Parts Catalogue:-

If you want to know more details and/or photos contact me direct.

Roger

Hi all,. Looking at the list C4292. Plate, Blanking, for Air Scoops.
I don’t think I’ve seen these in the boot tool kit before… Do they just slide in, in place of the mesh grills?

Yes, the blanking plates are just flat plates that slide into the front brake scoops, in place of the mesh screens. Mine are made of aluminum. XK120 also used them so they are readily available from vendors serving the XK120 community. Not really needed unless you drive in dusty or muddy environments. They also kept out snow and probably prevented ice buildup on the brake shoes. There isn’t a place for them in the tool kit so I guess you just put them in the map drawer or one of the cubby boxes.

Thanks Rob; That explains why I haven’t seen a set before.
Cheers, Jon

Hi Grant, when you start your Mark V rear boot tool collection be sure to check the closest local supply depot. the boot lid of the car. Many people find tools down at the bottom interior of the boot lid. The tools can fall into/under the tool kit and collect at the bottom. Fingers and magnets can reach down there, but use caution about cutting or poking the fingers while feeling for tools. It is common to find several of the wrenches down there.

Hi All,

Thanks for the information looks like I should invest in the parts catalogue, unfortunately there are no tools in the boot under the tool tray!! off to the internet to see what I can find.

Regards

Grant

Spares Catalog is very useful. There were at least two editions in print, 1949 and 1958. The later print version is more comprehensive by including collected changes even after production stopped. The earlier version also is quite useful. There is a further portable document file (pdf) version on CD which was sold by Jaguar as recently as 10 years ago when I bought one.

The tools in the tool kit are also listed on page M11 of the Service Manual, which is available as a reprint from parts vendors or on CD from JDHT, and we certainly recommend it as an addition to the parts catalogue.
There are some inaccuracies, for example the tool described as Tee Key for the Budget Locks is not shaped like a T, it is a letter L. The box spanner for the rear axle does not fit the fill and drain plugs on any known rear axles.

Grant, keep in mind the SPC listing only gives you a part number and a brief description; which of course is an essential major FIRST step.

But the devil is in knowing what each part number physically is when you start looking for the actual tools.
Many vendors on eBay and elsewhere offering rubbish, but claiming correct Jaguar tools, so you need to know what you are looking for and not assume honest/ accurate representations.

Then you need to make your own decision how accurate or otherwise do you want your tool kit to be?
Easy enough to get cheap space-fillers that fill up your tool-tray, but if you want accurate/correct tools some are exceptionally difficult/rare to find these days, and if found, will be priced accordingly. Trouble with Mark V tools is most are the same, as same age XK120 tools, thus demand/priced accordingly.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the tip I am finding how true that is not only the correct spanner BSF or AF bu the length of the spanners is also an issue.

What was the brand that was in original the tool set? That may help me with my sleuthing.

Cheers

Grant

As I said - the devil is in the detail …

See attached picture of the C.998 and C.999 open-enders, the two BSF Spanners you require. Note both are SNAIL BRAND - see line drawing of a ‘snail’, and note exactly the sizes, the C.998 is 1/8W and 3/16W1/4F and the C.999 is 1/4W5/16F and 5/16W3/8F. Note, you do get some variation in the font used, but note you must have these double W and F sizes, just W sizes is pre-war, and if the F is replaced by BS then that’s 1954 onwards. The good news is these two C.998 and C.999 spanners are relatively easy to get, and thus not that expensive, so make sure you get them in good condition re metal (no rust or jaw damage), with their correct finish being a chemical black-oxide/ oil-sealed process, and not painted black.

Both have MADE IN ENGLAND on reverse side, and don’t worry about ‘SR’ shown - just a manufacturers code.

The three AF sizes - C.2587, C.2588 and C.2589 are not easy to find, and are priced accordingly.
They were made by T/W, but are identified by their SUPERSLIM model name shown on the front side.
The rarity is being the result of being especially made/supplied to Jaguar, and all are made to a unique shorter size than the standard SUPERSLIM spanners made by T/W. The quick identifier is on the reverse side they are marked BRITISH MADE whereas the longer standard version is marked MADE IN ENGLAND

The attached photo shows a correct set of three C.2587, C.2588 and C.2589 on the front SUPERSLIM side, and shows a typical BRITISH MADE reverse side. Actual sizes are as shown, and lengths of these special ‘short’ SUPERSLIMS is such that they will fit in your Mark V tool tray. The commonly/cheaply found longer versions, will not fit in your tool-tray.

Again, make sure you get undamaged/unrusty ones as these also have a chemically blackened finish all over, so you cant disguise rust/damage with filler and paint. These were originally a black-phosphate finish, but an acceptable finish is obtained with the same black-oxide/oil-sealed finish as the two Snail spanners.

Thanks again!!

I have managed I think to obtain the BSF but the AF are as you said going to be a bit of an issue, I will keep looking.

Cheers

Grant

Hi Again,

Can you shed some light on the grease gun from what I can find out they are a Tecalimit, there are lots on EBAY but which is the correct one?

Thanks

Grant

The GREASE GUN C.991 is a black Bakelite Tecalemit PLASTIGUN, and note should have an HYDRAULIC connector screwed on to the nozzle. These are readily found, but more often with the incorrect/non-Jaguar connectors all smaller in size. See picture below - this shows a Plastigun with correct Hydraulic connector.

I think the Plastiguns themselves are quite easy to find. The rarer part is the nozzle.

Peter

Which have been reliably and convincingly faked in Australia.
Which were apparently a funnel for topping up oil in the gearbox.

The C.1054 Nozzle was not part of the tool kit in Mark V.
Another curiosity is the starting handle, which is shorter than the slot provided for it in the tool tray. The slot was apparently sized for the Mark IV starting handle, which was longer and with a different end configuration.
The tire levers are another oddity; while they may have worked ok on the 18" wheels of the Mark IV, I can’t imagine anyone other than Superman being able to use them on the 16" wheels of a Mark V.

I feel better now; I was getting new tyres and thought I would give the levers a try just for fun. I nearly burst my boiler trying (and failing) to roll the tyre lip over the rim!
Cheers, Jon.