Mark V Tool Kit

The Mark V tire irons work great on changing Ford Model A tires, a different kettle of fish.

The trick is to make sure the other side of the tyre is absolutely in the well of the wheel and donā€™t be too ambitious in the amount that you try to get over the rim. Release the pressure a bit on your first lever while you are taking your second bite with the other lever.

Peter

And LOTS of Murphyā€™s Oil Soap!!

The question arises ā€¦ WHY?
Iā€™m very in favour of delegation of tasks to people who are experienced and have the right tools.
Because , having got the tyre on, you still need to get it balanced.
As they say ā€œTime better spentā€

And the answer comes backā€¦
Because itā€™s there.
It was something that I have never done before, and I was curious how difficult a task it wasā€¦ I now know!

1 Like

OK , Riiiiight.
Have you ever lifted a gearbox out, or an engine? Or moved a MK IV chassis.
If not I can let you know next time the unique experience arises and arrange a hands on experience.: >)

1 Like

Ed,

Are you seriously suggesting that I donā€™t balance my wheels?
http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/New%20page%2019.htm

I think you are being disingenuous. You know very well that we do these things because there is satisfaction in achieving a good result purely from your own labours.

Peter

Peter

I thought we Jaguar owners had their butlers do those things.
I have never had trouble with universal joint vibrations. With our rear axle , the angles change with suspension movement. But yes we always have the sliding joint orientation marked on the tail shaft

But as for wheel . the local antique tyre service has a balancer for old wheels . not dynamic but one that seems to work well. The big issue is that our drums werenā€™t balanced . and they weigh about 8-9 kg.
And the original ā€™ balance 'was very dubious due to hap hazard machining . I did have originals balanced by removing metal inside with an end mill. Itā€™s an eye opener how much needs to be removed to balance them. But some MK IV drums would have needed so much removed to get a balance it would have ompromised them structurally . Which is why I ended up having new drums made which were inherently balanced

Ed, Hmmmm reading back my earlier reply I sound like a bit of a prattā€¦ let me just say that I have never had the need to change a tyre using irons (aside from using spoon handles on pushbikes in my youth) and I wanted to see how it was done. To imagine having to use these tools on the side of the road at a breakdown is beyond me.

My butler would tell me to get lost if I asked her to repair a puncture for me.
Before I learned that heavy duty tubes were essential I really did have to repair a puncture by the road side after suffering two in the course of one trip.

If your gearbox and rear axle shafts are parallel at rest then they will remain fairly parallel even when traversing a bump. Anyway a momentary vibration on a bump is tolerable. A continuous vibration in normal running is not. Perhaps the MkIV axle was better set up than those of the SSs that from the factory drawing are clearly not set up correctly.

Peter

Peter ,well of course , thatā€™s the chauffeurā€™s job.
The butler might only repair the blow up doll.

1 Like

My intent was merely to inject a little bit of humor into the discussion of Mark V tools.

For those who may not know, the Dunlop levers are 9" long.
tools%20003
In my younger poorer days I manually changed quite a few tires on the 16" rims of my Mark V and XK120, and some 14" and 13" on other cars, but I always used spoon tire irons that were 18" to 24" long. BTW in some parts of the USA these are known as ā€œtar arnsā€.

The difficulty in pulling the tire bead over the rim increases with decreasing rim diameter, even taking into account the well or dished shape in the rim. Iā€™m glad to hear the 9" levers can be used on an 18 or 19" tire, but if I had to use them on a 16" I would get some long pipes for handle extensions.

Now I have a tire changing pedestal with a 3 foot long bar and Hilti anchors in the floor to bolt it down, which makes this job a whole lot easier and more entertaining.

I will NEVER AGAIN do a tire change, on anything but my bike!

Hi Rob,

Where do you buy them and what do they look like?

Cheers,
Tim

It must be 30 years ago but I think I got mine from Cordell.
Bill Tracy might have them.
tools%20022

Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for the photo, thatā€™s very helpful. It will be easy enough to make two now that I can visualise them. I note that the scoop itself has a vent hole in it anyway so itā€™s not completely blanked off.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim,
The vent hole is actually to allow for the tie rod castellated nut is to clear the vent housing.

(Editā€¦ Tie Rod end, not ball joint! :flushed:)