Mark V Tow Bar, Made in England

Hi,

I’m not saying this is the one referred to in the SPC but this is the only one I have seen. I bought it from a lovely old chap ca 10 years ago at Stoneleigh, UK. He was selling his MKV Saloon and everything related to it. He said he used it only once to tow a caravan to the races at Goodwood. I forgot to ask which decade that was but surely over 50 years ago.

:slight_smile:

Cheers!

image image image

2 Likes

Now that’s a rarity. Cool.

So it appears to be made of steel L-angle stock?
Attaches to the frame by using the 1/2" bumper mounting bolts?
I wonder if you can open the spare tire door with that thing on there?
The fact that it has a maker’s badge stamped Mark V suggests it was a standard market offering by a regular tow hitch manufacturer, not a single home-grown effort.
Not like mine anyway. :grin:

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, exactly. And that’s one of the reasons I did not mount it, it is in the way if the spare wheel door. Of course one can leave the brackets attached to the rear bumper bolts and just remove the center section.

Cheers!

Hi,

Yes, if you look closely, you can see the make and size on the side of the bracket, it says 3 x 2 “.

Cheers!

Hi,

This is how it looks put together. Only one out if four original 7/16 BSF nuts and bolts is present and I have no idea where to find some, but the metric nuts and bolts there seem to be a pretty good fit.

Cheers!

That’s great. For BSF nuts and bolts I have used Moss Motors which I believe has an outlet somewhere in Europe.
Basil Dixon-Bate comes up on Grace’s Guide as a trailer manufacturer from 1937-80.

…and there goes ALL hope of a 100-point concours win!

Guaranteed, someone on the list has some.

Or here.

Not really, the hood is falling apart and the wings and spats have dings and scratches and I have removed most of the black paint on the original WHITE 18” steering wheel (with my fingernails only) so I think I would loose a few points on that and completely non-original old two-tone paint job. :wink:

Cheers!

But, it runs grrrreat!

:grimacing:

1 Like

It does now, that’s great!

Y’all coached me on my first complete engine rebuild! :+1:

Cheers!

A crowd-sourced (informationally) MkV motor!

Wow, so now I need to source one of those trailers form the UK! :laughing:

Cheers!

To be really authentic, find one made by SS Cars in the Foleshill plant.

They were for the airborne forces, so they may all have ended up in France.

1 Like

Looks like the analog to our Bantam trailers.

Hi,

Sure, but we didn’t see any when we were cruising around Normandy two years ago. :smiley:

Cheers!

SS Cars apparently built at least two trailer models.
Here is the other.

“… is amphibious as it floats when fully loaded.”

…never mind the Jeep, which has now sunk to the top of the windshield.

:rofl:

This is a close Australian version.

3A54722D-88D9-47C4-8C79-325CA7F4D459_4_5005_c

Tim

1 Like