Mark V Wiring Harness

I find my wiring disassembly notes are deficient again. There is a bundle of wires from the voltage regulator to the coil, carb solenoid, left front door switch and LHD brake master cylinder. I’m pretty sure it runs inside the cabin, not the engine bay. But mine seems too short. It has to go around the heater. Something must be wrong.
Can anyone tell me the routing of that bundle? Are there any clips or other tricks?
There is a separate bundle going from the regulator to the LHD headlight dip switch, with a plastic sleeve over it where it apparently has to pass over the heater. That one is plenty long enough.
The other bundle going to the coil etc has no such sleeve. I wonder why not?

Hi Rob. Yes, it runs inside the cabin and comes out into the engine bay towards bottom of accelerator linkage bracket on firewall, between the bracket and the steering column. An interior photo of my car shows the exit point. If you would like more complete routing photo, I can take one on my parts car which has all the carpeting removed.

Ahh, I think that pic gives the answer. There is a hole in the heater mounting bracket on each side. It looks like the wiring goes through those 2 holes. I’ll try that. I may have to loosen the heater to get them through. Thanks again Roger!

Hi Rob,

If you have the Barrie Price book “Rise of Jaguar” you can find this photo in there. I know it shows a DHC and that it is also RHD and thus the coil is in a different place, BUT it shows the basic entry and exit points and clips etc for the wires and hoses as originally used by the factory at Foleshill.

It also proves why so many of the hoses, pipes and wires are so difficult to work with after the car has been assembled, they mounted most of those things BEFORE the body ever met the chassis and engine on the assembly line. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Yep, I’m definitely going in the wrong order. Those guys are smiling because they did it in the right order. And they kept their white shirts and neckties clean. :grin:
My coil is in the same place on the scuttle. I think the only difference is my headlight dimmer and brake light wiring also run over to the left side.
Well, I wasn’t about to remove the heater again just to put in that wire, so I loosened the nuts and pulled it back a little bit. Then I could fish in a piece of stiff building wire, taped my new wiring to that, and pulled it through.

After I got it through, I realized I have two more questions.
Should there be rubber grommets in those metal holes in the heater mounting bracket?
Should the LHD headlight dimmer switch wires also go through those metal holes, or does it lay on top as I have it now? You can see that wire bundle has a plastic sleeve. I imagine it is to protect the wires from heat.
This may be another instance where they didn’t plan well for LHD cars.